Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interconnection wiring diagrams for system integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
I was curious to hear others opinions/experiences in the approach to developing wiring diagrams for control wiring integration between various pieces of equipment.

I have seen some take the approach of developing point to point wiring diagrams showing actual wiring beteeen devices landing on terminal blocks in equipment and others take the approach of simply developing a point to point wiring table.

When developing such wiring diagrams for large substation projects is it standard practice to keep manufacturer equipment drawings seperate from design drawings or is it standard to copy manufacturer schematics, wiring diagrams into design drawings? I have seen some who simply reference manufacturer schematics and wiring in design set and keep design set and manufacturer drawings seperate and others who literally copy and paste manufacturer drawings into design set to edit ( leads to a lot more drawings in design set)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We generally adopt OEM drawings of internal wiring into our own drawing set, and provide an interconnect diagram showing the terminals of the individual functional units (e.g. MCC bucket, motor, control station, DCS I/O rack). The OEM 'as supplied' drawings are kept as an original document, while our adopted ones are updated with any changes made over the equipment lifetime.

The interconnects don't show any internal detail of the functional unit except perhaps a relay contact or opto input to give the commissioning guy some idea of what he should see at each termination.

We do basically the same as ScottyUK describes. We require OEMS to provide point to point wiring diagrams and do not accept wiring tables as adequate documentation.

ScottyUK

I'm curious if you could elaborate on the "adopting of OEM drawings" into your drawing set? Are you saying that you keep the original OEM drawings as original but then take the OEM drawings and adopt them into your set with your drawing number, title block, etc...?

For example lets say I have an OEM switchgear schematic that only shows the wiring internal to that switchgear section. I now want to use this drawing to show external contacts etc... from other equipment that will be part of this schematic (interlocking etc...) for both the installing contractor and for end-user reference/troubleshooting. I'm trying to determine the best approach and practice for using this OEM schematic and showing the external contacts that are part of the integration with this switchgear.

I'm deciding on weather the best approach is to keep the OEM drawing with their title block and simply markup these additional or changes on the OEM drawing, or if it makes more sense to copy the OEM schematic (available in CAD) into our drawing border with our drawing number in order to make these changes. In either case we would reference original OEM drawing number and put disclaimer stating that schematic was modified by us.

So based on your comment it sounds like you keep two different versions of these OEM drawings on record. Do you provide both to customer? Outside of these schematics it sounds like you develop separate interconnection diagrams that are irrespective of any OEM content?

My experience is similar to Scotty's. Manufacturer supplied drawings are provided with a corporate drawing number and CAD border. The drawing number typically has a substation identifier, whether its civil, electrical etc, and whether its a layout or a schematic etc, so you typically want the manufacturers drawing to be referenced in the same way as any other drawing for the site.The manufacturers drawing border is retained so the manufacturers original drawing title blocks, number etc are all still legible within the new corporate drawing border.
Typically a termination diagram is produced which reproduces the terminal strip and terminal numbers from the manufacturers drawing, and shows the cable start and end point, number of conductors, cable number, ferrule numbers etc. I've also seen this done in schedule form where a cable schedule is produced, which also lists the terminal numbers for each conductor of each cable. Personally, I would avoid cutting and pasting parts of internal OEM schematics into a design drawing unless it is necessary to aid understanding of the function. Interlocking, or trip circuit supervision for example.

Regards
Marmite

Hi rockman7892,

The drawing as supplied by the OEM would be catalogued as one of their drawings and held under their drawing number as part of the plant records. We would preferably adopt the drawing content as one of our own drawings, acknowledging the source of the drawing,as part of an integrated document package which can then be revised as necessary in future.

We effectively are the customer, we carry some in-house design resource and the majority of the drawings are done by our team except for bought-in equipment like switchgear.

Scotty / Marmite

I appreciate the feedback.

For the OEM drawings that you adopt as part of your own drawings do you give them your own drawing border with new drawing number as part of your design package drawing sequence essentially making these as part of your design package? I've been going back and forth on weather or not to simply keep OEM border and note changes made by project (keeping original OEM drawing border and number) or copying OEM drawing into our border as part of our integrated package and removing the OEM border. My thought is to not have to copy drawing into a new border and perhaps confuse others as to the origin of that drawing.

As an example I have an OEM switchgear schematic which I want to reference external field contact on. My plan is to simply add these contacts to the OEM schematic and not have to re-create or show these contacts elsewhere. The two options I see are to add these contacts to OEM drawing keeping OEM border and just note changes and attached drawing as an attachment or submittal as part of the integration package, or replacing OEM border with our border and making part of our integration package with other drawings.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

What we exactly need is a single & final construction drawings ready at site during construction / execution. That is an initiative of conceptual & strategy.
If you are running the details design & engineering of your project (external or interfacing to all those equipment) along with the vendor engineering & manufacturing of equipment then I believe you have time (you must do) to input them whatever interface/external wiring requirement from your side or your Contractor (EPC) into their (vendor) engineering & design drawings productions. with this case you will have one complete interfacing/interconnection wiring incorporated in the Vendor drawings.
Otherwise, you will have blank data on vendor design drawing for external or interfacing parts (from your side/EPC) and in this case you need to transfer or incorporate missing data, whether into your Contractor/EPC drawings or Vendor drawing which one is better you have to choose. Normally better or advisable to incorporates into your Contractor/EPC drawings because you must have scope of as-built project documents with them!!

Hope it helps
The Gunner/EE8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back