Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interior welding after settlement test

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattimelt

Industrial
May 12, 2010
US
We just today got a drawing where 4 sample pipes are to be inserted in a carbon steel tank, The sample pipes are to be welded using C276 weld wire, which is a P43 SFA 5.14 material - we don't know what the sample pipes will be made from . The test completed its settlement test and we just today drained the tank when this drawing was provided. Tank itself is carbon steel. This is a waste water project. My question is can we weld these sample pipes without doing another settlement test? I see 7.2.1.12 allows non structural attachments to be welded externally without another test but I see nothing about internal welding. Weld will be a 3/16" fillet weld. I don't work in API 650 very often - last time was 4 years ago, so any help is appreciated. I really don't want to do another settlement test if I don't have to

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pls provide more info ;the position of sample pipes? What is the content and dimensions of tank,roof type. If this is API 650 tank, IMO ,you should look API 653 12.3.1 When Hydrostatic Testing Is Required. In case non-major repairs or alterations, a hydrotest is not required. Pls look API 653 (12.3.3.1).

If the content is water , what about interior painting ? In this case, the major concern should be interior painting rather than attachment weld of a 3/16" fillet weld to shell or roof plt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back