Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interlaminar shear stress 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engroma

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2008
CH
Hi
I have to evaluate by means of hand calculations the interlaminar shear strength and strain.
I have been thinking of using the ply x and y components of stress, but I am not confident that is the right procedure.
Do you have any advise or literature or paper ?

thanks

Regards

Ingroma

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look for the book:
Analysis and Performance of Fiber Composites

I agree that it is not the right procedure. You do, however, need to know the orientation of the fibers in the x and y directions and convert them, by means of a lot of matrix algebra and calculations, into the longitudinal and transverse load scenarios. Then, by more matrix algebra and such, you will be able to find shear strains/stresses.

If you have to do this by hand, I would suggest Mathematica to make your own formulas and simply input your given values.

You need to know literature values such as, Moduli, poissons ratio, shear modulus, Ect., but you may have work around what you know with the formulas. Also, try looking up Halpin-Tsai equations. They have found revolutionary formulas regarding composite performance prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back