Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intermediate transverse web stiffeners and bearing stiffeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixv

Structural
Nov 8, 2018
MT
Is there any other difference between intermediate transverse web stiffeners and bearing stiffeners apart from the fact that the latter is provided at the end supports of the beam and the former are usually designed to control lateral deflection at their location?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ixv said:
Is there any other difference between intermediate transverse web stiffeners and bearingstiffeners

There is little difference when the intermediate stiffeners are used to improve web shear resistance and resistance to locally applied concentrated loads.

ixv said:
and the former are usually designed to control lateral deflection at their location?

I don't know this to be the case. Can you describe the situation that you're considering in greater detail? Stiffeners alone do not meaningfully improve the torsional stiffness of wide flange beams unless they are attached to adjacent kickers, roll beams, etc. And, if used for this purpose, the design would be nothing like that for bearing stiffeners. It would probably be much less demanding actually.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't like the question at all. I can't articulate why but I'm not sure you understand the real functions of these elements.

1. Bearing stiffeners are designed to provide a stiff load path from the superstructure at support locations. If there aren't any stiffeners the web is going to buckle because thats where the shear forces/reactions are greatest.

2. Intermediate transverse stiffeners (IST's) are designed to increase shear buckling resistance through tension field action. They also play a role in providing attachments such as torsional bracing etc.

I also don't agree that they reduce lateral deflection at their location.

For U-Frame/Half-Through bridges yes they will help reduce lateral deflection, but thats missing the point - they provide stiff portal action and improve the lateral stability of the top flange when its in compression (i.e. lateral-torsional buckling).

For shallower bridge decks they won't do anything at all unless theres some kind of bracing, and will only help the plate girders in web buckling - they wont do much at all for LTB.

Get a good book and/or find a good mentor like KootK. I really recommend SCI P185 "Steel bridge guidance notes" or Designers Guide to EN 1993-2. Pretty much anything you need to know about small-medium span bridges you can find in those books, although they are primarily catered towards UK bridge engineers.

Hope this hasn't come across too aggressive, just want to help and drive home some points.
gl ukbridge

Edit: To clarify the bracing will provide stability during the wet concrete stage where there is no composite action, for say a steel-composite bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back