Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intermittent high 1x vibration on steam turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallaz

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2003
AU
I have a steam turbine/generator that undergoes huge escalations in 1x radial vibration at the front turbine bearing. The odd part is that the vibration increases greatly and then reduces to normal running conditions over about a 10-20 minute period. Has anyone seen this before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hello again

the thermally bowed rotor i suggested would be due to the rotor stationary with the machine not operating, but still partially hot from running. if the rotor is not on a turning gear, it will heat on the top side due to radiation from the hot steam that migrates to the top side. the rotor will then bow for a time before the temperature soaks out. if you try to restart the machine, the unbalanced rotor will shake until the thermal gradients wash out and the vibration stops.
however this would not occur during continuous running, so it's not your problem.

possibly its a slight rub....the casing heats up due to rubbing and grows away from the rotor, the rub stops, the casing cools and shrinks back and rub restarts and the cycle repeats.

i could go on guessing, but would start asking a lot more questions.

that's my ten cents.

daveleo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back