Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intern Needs Help on Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

HereToLearn8

Civil/Environmental
Jun 20, 2008
US
Alright I just joined this site so I hope all of this works. I am a currently a summer intern for a Midwest based excavation company that primarily focuses on excavation and trenchwork. Now the problem is that this is basically a brand new company. We are looking to find and purchase a brand new complete systems package that are will impress our clients due to how state of the art they are. So this means we are in need of Digital Takeoff, Estimating, Document Control, Task Management, and Construction Scheduling Software. Now as I have told you I am only an intern, but I have been given a lot of decision power without a lot of knowledge and do not want to mess this up. I have been researching for a while now and I am tired of every company just giving me their sales pitch and I really need to hear from people that have actually used this software. I have called around my city a bit to see what other companies are using and have searched through this site. What I have come up with is still pretty extensive, which is why I need help. Our company does about 20 million dollars worth of work per year as of right now but are planning on expanding once we get this new software. If anyone has any advice on any software they are currently using or have used in the past it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the still extensive list I have narrowed it down to:

Take-off Software -
AgTek Earthworks 3D
Carlson Takeoff
Maxwell Quest Products

Estimating -
HCSS Heavy Bid
HardDollar
Maxwell
Carlson
ProEst
Timberline
WinExPro

Scheduling and Management -
Primavera Software
Viewpoint V6
UDA Construction Suite

If anyone also has any suggestions on what other software these are very compatible with it would also be greatly appreciated, and I just want to thank everyone in advance for all of their help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work for a construction company in Phoenix that does about 1 billion per year. We use AgTek, HCSS, Primavera P6 for scheduling, Primavera Expedition for construction management and JD Edwards for accounting. I have also heard great things about Timberline, but have never personally used it.

These packages might be more expensive then what your company is looking to use, but if the big guys are using it, then it should be more than capable for the smaller guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back