Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

internal circlip rings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunodg1

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2008
US
I am trying to find some basic DWG drawings of standard metric internal circlips but I can't seem to find any, or at least free ones.

If there are no available drawings is there some specs where I could recreate the standard metric circlips in AutoCAD?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the Waldes-Truarc catalog, you can find it online. They have all the geometry defined and include performance specifications to the various sizes, internal or external.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

If you want to use the circlip drawing in an assembly, be sure the CAD drawing shows the circlip in its installed shape and not its free shape.

Ted

hydtools

Who will pay attention to that and why is it so important anyway? The way it will show in the 3D assembly has noting to do with the way the internal slot dimension should be. The dimensions and tolerances on the parts are the important thing and they should be taken from the circlip catalog.

ow would brunodg1 or anyone can accurately draw the deflected shape of the installed circlip and why it is important. Unless I am mistaken people put too much effort on the 3D assembly and models instead of sound engineering and correct dimensioning of the parts. For Example, I have seen people actually creaating helical threads inside holes. Why doing it if the hole will be tapped anyway?

I presume the assembly will be composed of parts that are soundly engineered and correctly and accurately modeled. The free condition circlip will not appear as fitting its proper retaining groove.

If you want to create simply a representation, then who cares if the circlip is correctly in its groove. Then you are correct.

I agree that drawing threads in a threaded hole is a waste of time. CAD programs permit the assembly of threadded fasteners without having the hole or nut threaded.

Ted

Some CAD programs also allow for "deformed" parts, such as retaining rings and orings. The detailed part is represented in the free state (as purchased), and can be modified to fit correctly in an assembly. This is not a waste of time (though showing actual threads is both a waste of time and of computer resources), but is good practice in showing design intent.

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

brunodg1,

I'm not sure how it works for the A-CAD group but for SW there are shared model sites. Perhaps if you post in the AutoCAD forum for a specific drawing someone will be willing to put you onto a resource.

israelkk makes a good point about modeling in 3D although I believe the request is for A-CAD (2D). I do know a few people that insist on modeling threads. I can only assume that they do not have thread calculators or any other means of predicting thin wall or break thru conditions. Otherwise it's just for the pretty pictures for the Marketing Department.

Harold
SW2008 SP3.0 OPW2008 SP0.1 Win XP Pro 2002 SP2
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back