Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Hydro test welded cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

abehong

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2012
US
Hello:

I have been working on a large vertical vessel alteration project. The client wants to add a new 12" nozzle on existing vessel. We had a discussion about site hydrotest requirement few days ago. We will have to weld a cap internally to cover up the new nozzle and then proceed hydrotest . It seems to be a tricky design for the welded cap through due to the shape of it . I do not think that standard weld cap will fit in place. It might be some kind special design . Just seek the possibility that someone likes to share the experience with me .

Thank for your consideration

Abraham

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

abehong, are you trying to hydrotest the nozzle only, without testing the altered vessel itself? Can you clarify a bit what are you trying to do?
Cheers,
gr2vessels

Hello, gr2vessels:

Yes, We are planning to do local hydrotest on the new nozzle only after fabrication because the size of vessel and some restraints on site , it is almost impossible to do hydrotest on the whole vessel.

Thanks

Abraham

I don't think that's going to work;- whatever you weld, it will put a lot of undue stress on the shell at the weld circumference, obviously depending on the hydrotest pressure. If possible, I suggest extend the nozzle neck inside the vessel and weld the cap on that end. After test, remove as much as needed/possible of the internal extension.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back