Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Internal ID Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

prephil

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2006
IE
I'm having a problem with the internal ID of a part. When I open an assembly, it says one of the parts does not match the internal ID saved with the referencing document.

When I replace the part with the correct part I save the assembly but the next time I open the assembly again the same thing happens, i.e. need to look for a replacement model.

How do I overcome this problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure if this relates or not. Create a directory to put all your files in.
e.g. C:\SolidWorks\Models
Then after you get our assembly opened, pack and go to the new directory and work in there.

Bradley
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400

Always work out of a local drive whenever possible when using SolidWorks. I've seen similar issues like this especially if you are working out of several directories thru an intranet connection. When opening an assembly in SolidWorks there is a hierarchy set of searches to find all the parts needed to build the assembly. The first is to find all parts in the directory your in. When it can't find the rest of the parts in that directory it starts to branch outwards and may find the correct named files but internally different for whatever unknown reason. If you find this happens often it’s time to think how to manage your part files better. PDMWorks is a great add-on to do just that. If PDM is not a likely option than good practices and organization can help too. If you’re working in an office with many users, you ALL need to be on the same page to create a better file management scheme.

Edson Gebo
Mechanical Designer/Drafter
SW2007 SP2.0
Cadra 2006 (yup 2D still exists)
-------------------------------------
Sometimes Success Begins at Failure
-------------------------------------

Just right clicking on the part and Replace Component. Do this and save it but it doesn't solve problem. Have systematic way of saving files. There certainly not all over the shop but I'd like to know a little more about PDM Works and Pack and Go if anyone can spare time to tell me or recommend a website?

The best way to understand Pack and Go is to use it. You won't mess up the original files. Just remember to select the Include Drawings option ... then have fun experimenting with the other options.

[cheers]

Looking at the C:DnS/path he is working locally.......
But this sounds like a permissions issue.

Try this method ...

SolidWorks FILE - OPEN
Browse to the assembly in question, highlight it in the explorer and then select REFERENCES.
Double-click the offending part on the left side under the "New Pathname" column.
Browse to the correct part and double-click it.
Then hit OK and then OPEN.
After the assembly opens, save it.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back