Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranisch

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2007
DE
Hello!
I would like to have access to an internal node set in Abaqus Viewer with the Abaqus script language. Does anyone know to do it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

additional remark:
I guess there must a possibilty to get to it, because the GUI can do it without having neither the input file nor the cae file. I guess there could be some workaround way by interpreting the defintions that created the internal node sets, e.g. contact/interaction. But I don't know how I can get to the interaction definitions in the ODB file. Any information about that?

it doesn't seem like you can get to the internal sets in the odb using python... but, i agree, it must be possible if viewer can get them?

i know you can access the contact pairs if you import the odb into a new cae model (file.. import.. model.. from the menus) but i don't see how to do that with python either.

any chance that the surfaces in your contact pairs are named? then you could access the nodes this way:
odb.rootAssembly.surfaces[surface_name].nodes
or
odb.rootAssembly.instances[instance_name].surfaces[surface_name].nodes
depending on if it's an instance or assembly surface...

No, unfortunately the surfaces have not been explicitly named. If I had done so, it would be quite nice to do. I agree with that.
It seems as if Simulia does not give to the user all the possibilities that are available with Python here (at least in the documentation) and that are implemented in the GUI.

I mean it should be possible to access the interaction definitions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back