Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLCC

Electrical
Dec 23, 2005
I have 2 computers connected to a all in one ADSL modem + router + 4 port switch. Currently, each of the computers has to dail up separately to the ISP if both of the computer want to hook up to the internet. The question is if with only one of the computer connected to the internet can the other computer hook up to the internet through it wihtout dail up again?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have a look at the setup for your router - most of the fairly modern ones have an option for running as a DHCP server. On the popular Draytek routers, you'll find it on the Basic Setup menu as:
>> LAN TCP/IP and DHCP Setup

Then set each networked computer's network connection properties to 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. For Windows XP this is in Control Panel, Network Connections, Local Area Connection. Select the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), then select Properties

The router will then provide DHCP addresses for each PC as it boots up, or as it looks for an Internet connection. There should be no dialling involved, as the router takes care of the connection to your ADSL provider, and the router's DHCP server looks after your internal network connections

Good Luck
johnwm

Steam Engine enthusiasts:

Yes, I have done that. However, it didn't work. What is the possible problem? Could it be a limitation of my combined ADSL modem+router+switch?

I claim no substantial expertise here, but the way I think it works is:

Enabling DHCP on the router causes it to assign IP addresses on the local network (subnet), only, i.e. on its 'downstream' side. The addresses typically take the form of 192.168.0.xxx or something similar, using one of a few address ranges that are not valid on the wider internet, and are specifically reserved for use on local subnets.

For those local computers to access the Internet, the router also has to implement "IP translation", where the router modifies the address in packets going to/from the internet. To do that for more than one computer at a time, the router has to have more than one >internet visible< IP address, which it typically gets from your ISP by acting as a DHCP client or something similar, on its upstream side.

You may have to pay extra to get more than one IP address; somewhere in the fine print, the ISP should tell you the number of IP addresses that they make available. My previous employer had DSL with 16 IP addresses provided. They had more than 16 computers on the local net, and if you came in late, you could access the local server and peers, but you might not be able to get on the internet. You didn't get a warning message or any specific indication, you just couldn't connect to anything outside until someone else shut down their computer.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

You should probably try posting this on Tek-Tips, which is more computer and internet oriented

TTFN

Sorry Mike, but an ADSL router can manage many internal IPs onto one external IP. My internal network often has 4 or 5 concurrent internet connections, and only has one fixed external IP and it all works fine. If two or more connections are simultaneously downloading they will share available bandwidth. The address translation is a function of the router.

MLCC, can you explain about the dialling? I've never seen that on a computer that links via an ADSL router. Your individual PCs should only connect via the LAN to the router, using TCP/IP on an IP address provided by the router, which acts as a DHCP server. The root address (as MikeHalloran says) is often set to 192.168.x.x

Good Luck
johnwm

Steam Engine enthusiasts:

As often happens, I must have misunderstood something.

Thank you for the education, John.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

It also depends on the attached router. Most DSL services wan to sell networking add-ons. I'd be surprised if their router allowed you to share the DSL connection.

Higher performance third routers will allow you to share the connection, but not all. My two SMC routers share DSL, but my D-Link router does not.

TTFN

I was about to sign up for BellSouth's new low cost DSL when I found that they seem to provide only one IP address for $25/month. They also offer multiple IP addresses, with their crappola router, for $5 or $10 extra per month, forever.

I emailed them to ask if I could use my own router. That was a month ago. No response at all so far. So much for customer service.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I've never asked them, but both Earthlink and SBC DSL services seem to be relatively happy running multiple computers over a single DSL link through an SMC "Barricade" wireless routers.

There are some differences in DSL services, though. Earthlink is an on-demand service, while SBC appears to be always on. Beyond that, I haven't investigated.

TTFN

'dialing up' would not happen with an ADSL setup. Are the individual computors setup for LAN after the ADSL installation or are they maybe still trying to 'dial up'.

"Dialing up" is perhaps, simply a misnomer. DSL DOES usually require a "lease" to be negotiated, which then allows the connection to be established, usually for something like one week.

TTFN

TQ for all the feed back. The Internet connection I subscribed to is with limited access time per month, therefore I need to supply a user name and password each time I wish to hook up to the internet. My intention is that with only one computer connected to the internet while the other also can access the internet through it will definately save my internet access time.

If you have XP, the fallback position is to turn on the connection sharing mode in XP, but things will slow down.

TTFN

exchange your router for another network card. Run one computor (sign on) to the modem and then run the second computor on the second network card which resides in your sign on machine. Head over to micorsoft's website as they depict a number of configurations, and steps on how to hook them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back