Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interpart projection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgergo

Chemical
Jun 12, 2006
HU
Hello to all,

I've got an assembly with 3 parts attached to a "main" one. I would like to project some features (lines, edges etc.) from a subpart onto one surface of the main part. The project curve function only can deal inside the working part (afaik). I couldn't find any solution in the help section but it is so trivial that there must be some solution to do it.

All help would be highly appreciated.

G.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alternatively (if you don't need associativity between the parts) you can extract the edge curves you are interested in and export the geometry to the main part. This will copy the geometry to the main part with no links between the parts. Sometimes you will want/need the associativity that wave links provide, other times it is overkill.

I use the Wave Geometry Linker to avoid having to change work parts. If associativity is not needed, it can easily be removed.

I have another trick I use - I slect the 'Project' icon, and when the toolbar comes up, I de-select (turn off) the associativity (the chain link icon).

You can then project from any part. The caveat is that the entities projected have no constraints, so you have to constrain them in the current sketch. But it is a fast and easy way to get geometry from non-active parts.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back