Interpretation/ Abbreviations 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupshaw

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2024
US
Hello All,
I'm looking through a couple of ENG DD from an Aircraft and I cam across an unusually symbol that I'm not to fond with. could you assist me in the understanding of the symbol and why its called out?
ENG_tips_symbol_myrqok.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's a weld symbol, I presume acc. AWS.
Whats an ENG DD? Engineering Detailed Drawing?

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Aircraft stuff not generally per ASME. But yes, fillet both sides, all around. Fillet size unknown...

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

I've learned that if there's not a specified fillet size then the weld should be the length of the continuous joint.

best,

Jay.

A lack of fillet size, infers that the fillet leg length should extend across the full thickness of what is is welded to (say, a nozzle reinforcing pad).
It is dubious practice to leave out the fillet dimension.
Also, the comment at the end of the weld symbol should contain the code for the Detailed Weld Procedure.
The weld symbol that you have there, provides incomplete/ambiguous information. Welding to a pressure hull, with only that information, is potentially dangerous.

Also showing "both sides" is redundant when the weld symbol already includes the circle symbol indicating "well all around." You can't weld all around without welding both sides.

They've already made revisions to the weld symbol and it's still wrong.

-Christine

If the fillet weld size is not shown, you should refer to the general notes for the size of the fillet weld. It is pretty standard practice to have a note specifying 'all fillet welds shall be 6mm CFW unless noted otherwise' or similar. If a note is not included, or a different size is required, you should specifically provide the size next to the symbol.
The weld symbol tail is quite commonly used for many types of notes, processes or procedures, and typical (typ) is regularly used but is kind of redundant if used on every symbol.
A double sided fillet weld can still be applicable with weld all round, when the two sides of the weld do not connect.

DekDee said:
How can it be weld "all around" if they do not connect ?
Because they are two separate fillet welds, which weld all round their respective side of the part/weldment, each individual fillet still starts and stops at the same location, so weld all round is applicable. Please refer to AWS A2.4, 6.11.1 and Annex D6.11.1

Regarding the fillet weld without size, please refer to AWS A2.4, 6.12.6 and 8.1.3.

Information on the weld tail notes can also be found in the above reference. All the same types of provisions in AS 1101.3, pretty standard.

I agree @BJI.
Yes, the fillet weld should be welded around the joined sides.
your reference from AWS helped not only with subject question but more.

Again, thank you All for your Assistance.

Kindest regards,

Jay

BJI,
The point I am trying to make is IMHO it should be either fillet weld welded both sides or fillet weld welded all around - not both.
6.11.1 shows a single fillet welded all around.
Figures 6.4 (B) & (C) clearly show fillet weld welded all around.
There are no examples in AWS 2.4 where it shows fillet weld welded both sides and all around.
The only one I can think of where it might be applicable (we cannot tell without more info from OP) is eg. a large square box welded to a plate.
Fillet welded inside and outside the box.
Then you would have the fillet weld welded both sides symbol and the weld all around symbol.
Looking at what we can see of the drawing I do not think that is applicable here.
Hope you can understand what I am trying to say [smile]

6.11.1 just gives a couple of examples of weld all round, single weld and double weld. These types of documents are never going to be comprehensive enough to cover examples of every possible detail.

I agree with you and Christine74, that for the vast majority of cases a single fillet welded all round is usually suitable. The intent was to note that under some circumstances double welded all round is also applicable (like in your example). Plate weldments can lead to less typical arrangements where these configurations may occur more regularly, and the guidance in Annex D is useful here.

IMO the specific technical accuracy of a weld detail is less important than the fabricator being able to understand the design intent correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back