interpretation of ASTM A182 para 6.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbver98

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2002
BE
Hi,

ASTM A182 para 6.2.1 : "Liquid Quenching—When agreed to by the purchaser,liquid quenching followed by tempering shall be permitted provided the temperatures in Table 1 for each grade are
utilized."

Does this concern also F22 Class 3 for which "anneal" or "normalize and temper" is listed ? I n other word Liquid Quenching and tempering is accepted for this grade.

Application : pressure vessel.

Thanks for your contribution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

abbver98;
No, this is not what I stated. Normalizing means air cooling. For heavy sections or thick sections of materials A 182 by virtue of this paragraph permits by agreement between the purchaser and the supplier, liquid quenching to assist in cooling heavy or thick sections that otherwise would not be adequately air cooled to produce a normalized structure before tempering. So, any of the materials in Table I can be liquid quenched by agreement or if it directly states liquid quenching as in the table.

F22 material can be liquid quenched and tempered inorder to achieve the mechanical properties.

The temperature can be alter according to your mechanical property requirements( yield + hardness ). Always check the microstructure after heat treatment for more uniform structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back