Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interpretation of International Building Code 1006.2.2.1 for egress requirements based on BTUH input

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEDARRIN2

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2003
US
When determining the number of exits from a boiler, incinerator, or furnace room, when referring to the maximum 400,000 BTUH input capacity, does "any" indicate a single piece of equipment or an aggregate of all the equipment in the room?

Example would be if I had 3 domestic water heaters with input of 199,000 BTUH in a room, would I have to have two exits from the room?

I have seen interpretations of both.

Wondering what anybody else has encountered.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you consider the location of domestic water heaters as a boiler room? Double check the definition of a boiler room in the IBC. let us know what you read.

The 2015 IBC does not define a boiler room. No help there.

The 2015 IMC defines boiler room as, "A room primarily utilized for the installation of a boiler." - not a lot of help there. It does define a boiler in a way which would rule out any domestic hot water heater.

However, in my neck of the woods (Ohio, USA), they have added a section to IMC 10001.1 to make applicable any boiler, water heater, etc. that is within the scope of the Ohio Boiler and Pressure Vessel Rules. In that, water heaters can be defined as boilers if they meet one of the following criteria,

Have an input greater than 200,000 BTUH,
Water temperature greater than 210 F
Nominal storage of greater than 120 gallons

So, it doesn't take a whole lot, at least in Ohio to have a water heater as a boiler. Throw a few of those and some heating hot water boilers into a room and the aggregate value could exceed 400,000 BTUH.

Recently, we did ask the AHJ how they interpret it and the response was it applies to individual pieces of equipment, not an aggregate.

Compositepro

Water heaters don't operate that high, but in Ohio, the criteria is how they further define boilers. Domestic water heaters can have inputs greater than 200,000 BTUH and storage volumes more than 120 gallons.

In fact, there used to be what were called "Ohio Specials" which had an input of 199,000 BTUH, which got them out of the "boiler" designation.

" water heaters can be defined as boilers if they meet one of the following criteria"
I misread that. It would make more sense if it said met all three criteria.

If those three hot water heaters are connected by piping to each other, then I would treat the three units as one unit. If they are independent from each other I would contact the Ohio B&PV division for clarification.

Chicopee,

I tend to agree with your opinion, but when you are with an architect and tell them they need to provide two means of egress when to do so would mean making the room bigger - they tend to balk. It is the age old battle for square footage for mechanical equipment.

Since it is a Ohio (International) Building Code issue (referencing the Ohio Boiler Code), we asked the Ohio Building Code official who is in charge of opinions/interpretations related to MEP items and the response was "individual" not "aggregate".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back