Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intersect 2 different cornice profiles for sheet metal flat patterns 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo0z

Industrial
Nov 22, 2010
US
Hi,
If you ever take notice of cornices or "moulding" on the top of buildings or signs, you may notice that the profile you see on the face isn't always the profile you see from a side view. If different at all, it's typically that many members of the profile are the same height, but are elogated on the other side. In situations like this, you can't simply cut a 45 degree angle on each profile and expect them to go together. You have to cut individual angles on each member. In wood working this is fairly simple using a coping saw in skilled hands, but sheet metal is another animal.
I used solidworks this past week to try and get "flat patterns" of two profiles intersecting at a corner as described above. I had to do this twice for two different sets of profiles on our project. Since it's the first time I've had to do it, I tried a hodge podge of ways to get it done. Although, in the end I was able to get what I needed, it seemed way too complicated and time consuming. It made sense to me that there was some feature in solidworks I was not familiar with that would automate this.
I have attached the two different assembly files and their corresponding part files so you can visualize the methods used and desired outcome. The one titled "base top" was the first one I did and the sloppiest. I attempted to make an extruded cut on the face of one profile with a sketch in the shape of the other profile..kinda like how you would cope a piece of wood moulding. It worked in part, but not entirely and had to be massaged in the assembly file and cheat the flat pattern a little by hand.
The one titled "base bottom" was the last one I did and came out more accurate.
The method I used was to create each profile individually and extrude it into a sheet metal part. Then mate them at a 90 degree corner intersection. I then edited each part in the assembly file inserting sketches on the surfaces of the members and performing extruded cuts based on what I could see it's corresponding part doing. Again, this was time consuming and certainly did not seem the recommended way of doing it.
If interested or experienced with this sort of thing, or even if you just think you may be able to help..... Please open these files and see if there would have been an easier way to accomplish the end result through some time of pierce/cut function of two intersecting parts.

Sorry this is so wordy, I didn't know how to describe it any quicker.

Thanks for your time,
-Dan
SW 2009

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dan, check out miter flange. You control the cornice profile with a sketch and SW takes care of the corner cuts. Look in the help files for details.

Regards, Diego

Assuming you want those as individual parts rather than on solid body - you would need to cut away the original face shown in that video.

Another technique I use is to model as trimmed surface bodies in a single part file and then Thicken and push out the individual parts rather than use an assembly file and cross part projections.

On intricate sheet metal parts, I have always found it easiest to model them as solid bodies, shell them, then turn them into sheet metal components, ripping edges where necessary. Perhaps this would work best for your mitered crown molding?

Thanks guys,
I had no idea the miter flange was capable of that, nor did I know you could insert a sketch on an edge. That was a an excellent video,this will be useful.
However, I wasn't able to get this to work mitering two different profiles like I had to do in the first examples I uploaded. Please see the attached file here. It is a base flange part with two miter flange features on it. The first is the profile of the short sides, the second is the profile of the long sides. The only one that shows up is the first. It doesn't seem to like the second one. Can any of you get this to work?

Thanks for everyone's help with this,
-Dan

@ rollupswx & tz101
I'll have to try the alternative methods you mentioned , I appreciate the suggestions.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=01905a2b-4565-4cd5-ae46-c35655b4b884&file=Miter_Flange_2_profiles.SLDPRT
Dan, after Miter Flange1, put an unfold feature in, unfolding the first bend Miterbend7. This will flatten that end of the part. Then move the Sketch4 from plane 2 to the opposite end of the base flange and miterflange2 will work. Next add cuts to the miter flanges, using the other flange profile to convert and offset entities. This will be two separate cuts to complete the corners. Use through all and normal cut checked for the cuts.

I don't have time to complete this now for you, but give it a try. It will give you a flat pattern to work with. If the part is symmetrical, use the mirror bodies feature to complete the other corners.

Diego

Forgot to tell you, after miter flange2 put in a fold feature. this will cause the two miter flanges to overlap in the corner, so you can see where to add the corner profile cuts.

Hope this helps. Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back