Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interstitial Service space - hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarewm

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2008
CA

I Have this space and I am leaning towards going light hazard for my spacing . There is no mechanical equipment units .other than the typical items you would find above a hospital space . As you can tell I am still a bit hesitant to go light hazard . Has anyone treated these light or ordinary ?

thanks .
Colin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is in the space

How tall is it

NFPA 13 reference why it needs sprinklers?

Should be non-combustible area.

Take it new construction

Is is combustible or non-combustible? Is it concealed or not? NFPA 13 is pretty clear that these spaces are light hazard. If you are protecting it, what is the slope? What is the clearance? If it is <2:12 slope and <36" clear space, you would need to use specially listed sprinklers that will require draft curtains at 1000 sq ft intervals.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

ok...that is not your typical concealed space above a ceiling. It seems there will be lots of mechanical equipment and potential for storage. I would lean more toward OH1 if potential storage could be limited to 8'. I could easily convince myself to go OH2 in a space like that as well.

We used to do places like this at Intel and it was 0.2/3000 for their criteria. But that was also having a semiconductor fab area below.

I guess I would go no less than OH1. I would look to see what impact OH2 had on my system and if no impact on pipe sizing, then I would go that way just to be conservative.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back