Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intro to EMI book suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterrose

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2010
US
I was wondering if anybody on here might suggest a great introduction to EMI book to read as I've been tasked with setting up and running an EMI test.

I see a lot of books out there on EMI as related to printed circuit boards, this is not what I'm looking for. The test I'll be setting up is EMI coming from an electrical motor. Plan on buying or renting a small EMI chamber and antennae for the test. My quest for a good book is so that I can become knowledgeable before the test, know what to look for in my rentals/purchases of the chamber or antennae, and how to take and what I'm looking at when taking readings.

Please keep in mind when suggesting a book that I'm a mechanical engineer background with reasonable familiarity with electronics, but still would need things somewhat dumbed down for understanding.

Thanks guys.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is very ambitious. But I doubt that it is the best way to go.
I have done power electronics and EMI/EMC things for thirty+ years. I still go to certified test houses for EMC instead of rolling my own.

The reason is that the certified test house has more and better equipment than I could ever afford. They have more experience than I can hope to have. They work fast and efficiently. And they are certified.

That last thing means that a paper from them is the final proof that I can market the device that has been tested. Without it, I need to have a water-proof TCF and still may have problems with the authorities.

One question: Is that a brushed motor? Or do you mean a motor plus drive?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Thanks for the input Skosgurra, very helpful. Perhaps a little more detail would help.

I'm not exactly looking to certify an item to bring it to market. I'll be testing with an AC induction motor hooked up to a VFD and I'm more looking to see how our product alters the EMI output from the motor and drive. I apologize if the phrasing here isn't correct, as I said I'm still learning.

I realize I'm getting a little over my head here, hence the desire to educate myself.

If you put a VFD in your product, you are certain not to comply with the EU EMC directive. You do not even need to measure to find out.

Then, you MAY put filters, screened cables and 360 degree cable glands in place and still not be sure that it works.

Try to reduce conducted emission first. You do not need to use an EMC chamber to do that measurement. Just a simple pre-compliance meter. There are several to chose from.

If you have brought your device/machinery/plant to a point where pre-compliance tests say that you are below conducted emission limits, then put the drive in an HF-tight enclosure. Put metal gaskets all around the door/enclosure and do everything else you can think of to contain HF radiation in the enclosure.

Then, you have done more to be compliant than most other producer of equipment with drives usually do. And that should be good enough.

Look around you! You will see lots and lots of equipment that never have been tested. They do not even have simple filters. So, you will look good if the authorities decide to have a look.

Remember that someone has to complain before they bother. Will your neighbours or your customers complain?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

I concur with Gunnar that EMC compliance is a specialized field best left to the experts. That said, it certainly doesn't hurt to learn more about it - especially if you are a design engineer - and one book that has been invaluable for me is "EMC for Product Designers" by Tim Williams.

I've never seen any EMI design advice, guidelines that were not simply the opposite of a good antenna, etc.

There are multiple military standards and handbooks. Eg. -461.

A while back I read a book on EMI by Henry Ott that went into a lot of detail on the subject of how and why EMI becomes an issue. As VE1BLL said, it is the opposite of being a good antenna. The book discussed a lot of ways on how to make a bad antenna.

One other suggestion would be the works by Dr Howard Johnson, though I know you stipulated that your not interested in circuit boards which is a lot of his focus, he still goes into a lot of the detailed theory about the frequency relationships of noise as it relates to edge transition rates (it is a common misconception that it is the clock rate that is important) and how geometry especially in grounding is an important aspect providing low inductance paths for the noise prone signals to follow.

MIL-HDBK-464 is the companion to MIL-STD-461, and provides insight into the EMI requirements and their testing. There are a bunch of EMI design guidelines, and as mentioned above, "Do Not Make Antennas," is high on the list:

Generally, people that make EMI shielding products also have application notes on how to minimize EMI footprint.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back