Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

introduction of earthquakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibas

Structural
Apr 2, 2010
DZ
Hi all,
I have only recently begun to use ANSYS
I'm trying to simulate an analyze dynamic of multi-storey building

I would like to earthquake (Introduced in the form of accelerogram)
Would you please give me some tips or the way to know how introduced in the program?
Please....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

earthquakes are definitely not the simplest task in Ansys (as well as in any other FEA program)...
First of all, get a strong knowledge of simple static structural problems. In other words, get used with Ansys in itself.
Then, next step depends upon the system you nrrd to analyze:
- if it doesn't have non-linearities, or if the non-linearities can be reconduced to linear behaviour without loosing too much precision in the analysis, then the Spectrum Response Analysis is the way to go. See the User's Guide about this subject.
- if, unfortunately, you have to cope with strong non-linearities, then the only way to go is the time-domain full transient analysis (once again, see User's Guide). The problem setting and post-processing may be even conceptually easier, BUT you will have the BIG problem to convert your earthquake accelerogram into a time-history excitation...
Good luck!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back