Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introduction to Drilling/Well Completions engineering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESOH

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2003
GB
hello there,
I am a Mechanical Engineer wishing to know more about drilling and well completions engineering. I would like to start with the basics and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?
Any information sources(dummies guide to drilling..), journal titles etc would be extremely helpful.

Cheers All

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ESOH,

There is a book that many companies provide for their new hire engineers that is indeed a dummies guide for Drilling and Completions. It is called ""A Primer for Oil Well Drilling". Also going to some of the major service company websites will also give you and insight into how to drill an oilwell. Try Schlumberger, Baker, Halliburton and Weatherford company websites.
Technical info tends to come from company specific publications and high dollar publications.

Regards

DrillEng

When I started at Schlumberger they sent me a book called "A Primer for oil well drilling" and "Hydrocarbon exploration and production. Both great books for the novice.

if you know anyone in the buisness or have got $500 spare, you need to get hold of the "IADC, (international assosciation of drilling contractors) drilling manual". I just came out of university 6 months ago, and this document i had at work experience tells you every single thing you need to know about the entire process from under balance drilling to how they seperate the sand from the oil/gas/water. bewarned, its like a 1000 pages long and requires (at least some!) technical knowledge to understand the problems faced in the industry.but is well worth trying to obtain!

I think SPE in Houston has a one day Intro Course his month (July). Check on he SPE website. I know a chemist that is going this month. I'll see if I can get the info tomorrow.

Are you interested in the roughty- toughty end of things at the wellsite or the more design engineering side on the beach?

There's a good book called "An Introduction to Oil Well drilling" or something, by Hussein Rabia (aka Insanely Rabid to his chums) that covers the process of drilling a well, the bits of a drill rig and the process of designing a well. It's aimed at undergraduate university level readers.

The IFP (Institute Francais du Petrole) produce an excellent series of books about drilling & completing wells(in English!), but they are expensive (somebody nicked mine when I was last transferred...grrrr)

try the drilling training alliance - George King teaches a 1 week class that was a complete review on drilling, completions and well intervention... highly recommended - I just attended in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back