Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Introductory texts to mechanics of composite materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaEngineer

Aerospace
Apr 9, 2010
CA
Hi,

I have solid understanding of mechanics of "standard" materials and I am looking at learning the mechanics of composite materials.

I have no background in composites and I am completely clueless when it comes to the subject.

I have recently looked at 2 books, one by Kaw , and the other by Daniel, however the lack of problems and examples in the books is very frustrating. I learn best by solving numerous problems and examples so if anybody can suggest good introductory textbooks with many solved examples I would be very appreciative.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend Mechanical Properties of Reinforced Plastics, D. W. Clegg & A. A. Collyer (Eds.), Elsevier Applied Science Publishers Ltd., Barking, UK 1986.

It's out of print but you can get it used at
It has examples of not just theory but where they make parts and measure the properties in different directions and compare to what theory predicted.

Another good one is Mechanical Properties of Polymers and Composites, L. E. Nielsen & R.F. Landel, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, USA, 1994

On the other hand, if you want to get the basics first without leaping into advanced texts then you could find my contact info and I will e-mail you a draft copy of an encyclopedia chapter I'm writing.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

My usual recommendation is Barbero, "Introduction to Composite Materials Design," which has quite a nice lot of worked example problems (also has exercises at the end of each chapter and a companion volume "Solutions Manual for Introduction to Composite Materials Design").

Kaw's "Mechanics of Composite Materials" (not sure if this is the one you looked at) is quite good and has an unworked 'Exercise Set' at the end of each chapter and a reasonable lot of worked examples scattered through the text. When I got my copy around '98 it came with a copy of the author's PROMAL lamina and laminate micro- and macroanalysis software (use restricted to educational purposes).

Halpin's "Primer on Composite Materials Analysis" concentrates on analysis but doesn't have that many worked examples (though it does have quite a few useful ones).

Ron Gibson's book is good as is Tsai's book (CRC Press). Both give solid theory but not overly difficult reading and relevant examples. More examples in Tsai's book but I did get the first edition some years ago and man is it littered with misprints

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Hello Folks,

I was wondering if we could get some clarification here. Is this the book from Jones that we are referring to?

I am a recent ME graduate with a minor in materials science looking to get into composite industry. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of metals, but have never taken a class specifically on composites. I am looking for up to date material most applicable to industrial production rather than acadamia. Chapters on NDT would be great as well.

Does the above fit the bill?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back