Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inventor vs. Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_ridzon

Mechanical
Sep 18, 2020
US
I searched around the forum before posting this. I found lots of 10+ year old threads about Inventor vs. Solidworks. My background is CAE (ANSYS), but will soon open a small side gig, doing CAD work. That is, I'll be do 2D and 3D drafting for my customers. To date, I've primarily used the ANSYS embedded CAD tools to build CAE models with my current employer. My experience with Solidworks and Inventor was brief during college. As I plan to purchase a CAD tool for my side gig, I'm curious what feedback folks can share on whether Solidworks or Inventor might be a better option. No, I will not be doing any CAE work with my side gig; strictly CAD.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually the choice is between picking the less expensive one or picking the one most of your customers use. Both companies have been around a while; each will have useful and/or annoying characteristics unique to them. It may depend on how much support you expect to need and whether how you purchase it includes that support.

If one was simply better the other would be long gone.

You might also need vaulting/Product Data Management and should include that as part of the cost/effort estimates to implement. Most just use some complex folder scheme to keep the work straight and backed up.

3DDave said:
Usually the choice is between picking the less expensive one
A few sites I found on Google insinuated something similar, indicating they are basically neck-n-neck as far as capabilities and features. Inventor is slightly cheaper. But the main deterrent I found with Inventor is that they do not sell perpetual licenses, while Solidworks does. But I know a lot of software companies nowadays are going to the subscription thing. So maybe the Inventory subscription isn't that big of a deal. ~shoulder shrug~

WindWright said:
I've done the transition from Inventor to Solidworks.
It's usually like learning a second language. Either you get it or you're too set in your ways to change.
Thank you. I skimmed the links. I'm realizing my question was akin to asking "is Ford or Chevy better?" Haha!

I'm leaning towards Inventor, but only because I have a background with AutoCAD. That's not really a good reason, but this honestly feels like a coin toss. Do you know if Autodesk (or anyone else) offers training courses for Inventor? I already joined the Autodesk forum, but would likely benefit from some training as I dive in.

Autodesk and Dassault usually sell through "resellers" that help companies manage the training, licensing, upgrades etc for complex software packages. If you didn't buy from a reseller, they will still sell you a training course, either on-site or on-line.

I honestly wouldn't bother with either program unless a customer explicitly requested it AND covered the license. Both have rather limited capabilities compared to a regular engineering modeler like Creo, NX, or Catia and are mostly used on the shop floor and classroom, not the engineering office. More importantly, you'll find many (most?) customers today prefer work to be done natively in their preferred modeler which is unlikely to be either of those.

If you need training for most any CAD or engineering software then check out Tata Technologies' online courses. Last I knew their unlimited membership for online training was a few hundred $USD and their courses excellent.

CWB1,
How the heck can you afford a seat in NX or Catia??
I take the OP's perspective as an individual who needs access to a suitable tool for a "side gig".
Cost is a factor in these cases.
Actually, both SW and Inv are very expensive for a side-hustle.
Maybe I should have suggested Fusion (despite the recent price hike, I think it's still cheaper) or Onshape (growing in capacity all the time).

Thank you CWB1 and WindWright for the additional insight.

I actually have a lot of money saved up for this side gig, way more than I need to start, way more than needed to buy something like Catia. That's only because I'm debt averse but also do not want to be strapped for money as I make decisions getting started. However, I do agree with WindWright's hesitation, which means I do not intend to flippantly blow cash for unwise insensible purchases. I desire to start small with my side gig. As such, SW and/or Inventor will likely be okay for getting started. As time goes on, we'll see how things grow.

In the bigger picture, I have to be careful about getting into bona fide "engineering" work. I currently work for a CAE company that has a non-compete agreement on my record. Granted, we all know CAD often leads into CAE. So although my employer is aware of my intent to start this CAD side gig, clear boundaries are being set as we speak.

Thank you CWB1 for the reference to Tata Technologies for training. I'll check them out.

WindWright, the work coming in obviously dictates budget and the tools you can afford but a few thousand for CAD isn't a particularly huge expense and you can buy seats by the quarter to reduce that further. The important bit of "side-hustle" is the "hustle," which is how I have a paid-off machine shop in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back