Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IP 67 Electrical Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

caravoy

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2005
US
Here's an idea fit for a Friday: I've got a robot control cabinet in an extremely dirty environment (foundry). The cabinet is rated IP54, and does not particular care for metallic dust getting inside it (from grinding and other metalworking). I'm looking to put this whole cabinet inside one that is rated IP 67. Anyone got any ideas? Cabinet is roughly 48 in. high x 32 in. wide x 22 in. deep. Also, recommendations on cordgrips or equivalent I need to investigate. Thanks.

Caravoy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that Hammond makes such cabinets. They are available in stainless steel, enameled steel, or fiberglass.
I also remember Robroy/Stahlin doing such cabinets. Your requirements for, say, a windowed door may narrow your choices. Cable entries with IP67 ratings can be found at many places. But those selling the cabinets often have a line of cable entries, since customers looking for the box will also look for the cable entries.

I think IP65 might be much more readilly available. Are you sure you need to have the enclosure capable of being submerged? That is the difference. The "5" means protection against water sprayed from jets in any direction. The "7" means partial submergence (referred to as "dipping").

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." Nikola Tesla
Read the Eng-Tips Site Policies at faq731-376
[pirate]Member, [blue]P[sup]3[/sup][/blue]

From the fact that you used inches for measurement, I can assume you are in N. America, so you should also look at NEMA 12 or NEMA 13 (UL also uses the same ratings). Both are what is called "Dust Tight" and protect from dripping or splashing water. The difference is that NEMA 13 also offers protection against degradation of the gasket material from contact with cutting oil in machine tool applications.

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more." Nikola Tesla
Read the Eng-Tips Site Policies at faq731-376
[pirate]Member, [blue]P[sup]3[/sup][/blue]

Ah...Nice find jraef! That is a great summary.
dxze5y.jpg

Have a poke around on the Rittal website. They have some big cabs with fairly good ratings. If you can accept IP65 you should find something - IP67 in that size is pushing it.

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

Another idea, if the existing cabinet is already installed -- increase the air pressure in the cabinet. Just install a decent size inlet fan along with some duct work so you are capturing air from outside the factory.

Thanks everybody for your info. I certainly appreciate it. Mike2468, we tried positive pressure in existing controller, with only minimal improvement. It delayed the inevitable. Anyway, thanks again.

caravoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back