Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IR camera for solar module inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

2lai

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2008
US
I am looking for an IR camera capable of solar module characterization. Could you recommend some brand with best cost to performance ratio? Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solar module is an assembled solar cell array ready for installation. IR camera has been used to characterize the "hot spots" of solar module during operation --- not sure if industrial standards have been released.

A single solar cell is a passive device. However, the individual can be screwed in an array (such as shading effect).

I don't think the shading effect can be avoided by optimizing the optical design. You may look the internet for more details. The IR camera vendors may be happy for this market :)

I am still looking forward to recommendations of IR camera.

In a photovoltaic installation efficiency is a function, in part, of temperature; cooler panels run more efficiently. Infrared can be used to understand overall thermal patterns, including shading. Also, as individual cells fail, they can begin to heat rather than collect, and can be seen. In all cases you must remember the front surface will be quite specular (mirror-like) and reflective. The attached image shows the front side of a PV panel; the hot spots are thermal differences (not problems) associated with the connectors.

Thermally yours,
John Snell
Snell Infrared
800-636-9820

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
John Snell
Snell Infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back