Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

IR Transmissivity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesy

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2000
US
Is there a glass (or other material) that<br>has high IR transmissivity in the 2-5 micron<br>band, and can withstand temperatures of <br>1000 degrees F?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

check out the pyroceram material that mcmaster-carr sells.<br>its under glass-high temperature.&nbsp;&nbsp;i know it has decent ir transmission because it transmits a lot of heat.&nbsp;&nbsp;and it has additives for the high temperature properties.&nbsp;&nbsp;hope this helps.<br>

I actually found this out myself-<br>There are over a dozen materials that are good for the 2-15 micron band.<br>They are all crystal-grown.<br>Si,Ge,BrF, sapphire, just to name a few, each good for diff. applications<br>Si is the cheapest, but none are cheap.<br>I went to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and they have a lot of info there on the different materials- or do a search on altavista<br>with different mixtures of the following words:<br>Si, Silicon, Ge, optic/s, window, lens, IR, crystal, transmis*

The best material to use is fused silica - it's good from the far UV 180 nm&nbsp;&nbsp;upto 2500 nm. From 2600 to 2900 nm the transmission drops to about 10%. Then goes back to 90% +.<br>Quartz is OK but silica is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back