Iron Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezgikim

Chemical
Mar 1, 2017
TR
Hello,
I have a question about Iron removal from water.
As you can see from the water analysis , soluable Fe is 0,05 ppm and Total Fe is 70 ppm.
Is it possibble to reduce the total Fe amount to <0,2 ppm only by using sand filter?
I think there is no need to use greensand , aquamandix or other minerals that oxidize the iron , since its already in oxidezed/precipitad form?
Thanks in advance:)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0e341e21-3a04-40b9-8521-ed89621f0613&file=salihli_analiz_(1).jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This water is turbid with a rusty brown look i assume.
A sand filter alone would be unlikely to remove the level of iron you want to achieve and with 70ppmm of iron the filter runs would likely to be quite short.
I would suggest that you would use a chemical coagulation and gravity sedimentation process ahead of the sand filter to remove a very large proportion (90%+) of the iron, leaving the sand filter to deal with a much smaller load. I would also suggest that you get more than one sample before committing to a particular process. The ratio between soluble and insoluble needs to be confirmed. Changes in pH may also resolubilize some iron.

Manganese may be an issue as well as generally 0.1mg/l is considered a problem from a water aesthetic perspective.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Agree with Ashtree, a sedimentation process with coagulation will be necessary as the solids loading on a filter will be excessive.

ree
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back