Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ironbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdieGenerate

Electrical
Aug 25, 2009
GB
Anybody know anything about the Turbine incident at Ironbridge ? (When I say Turbine incident it is now an ex turbine.)

No estimate is more in danger of erroneous calculation, than those by which a man computes the force of his own intellect........S johnson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only that there was a fire on the turbine floor earlier this month. Didn't sound massively serious, although the place is due to close next year and they probably won't get involved in a big repair program. Do you know anything more?

Don't believe everything you read in the media. In the hours and days following a major accident at a plant I worked at, some of the 'information' being broadcast was the stuff of journalistic speculation.

Some coverage characterized it as a bearing fire.

... which sort of suggests that at least one bearing will need substantial repair activity.

... which it would not get in my world, given the stated plans for the plant.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

A bit more than a bearing fire I believe............

On Tuesday 4th February at 6:00 am Ironbridge Power Station, Unit 1 suffered a failure of 12 blades at the row 6 position on Low Pressure (LP) Turbine No. 2 causing a fire. There was some secondary fire damage, but no injuries. Emergency services were called to site to assist in the extinguishing of the fire.
Investigation of the incident has progressed and has firmly identified that the LP2 row 6 blade 66 failed as a result of high cycle fatigue initiated from an area of water droplet erosion located on the trailing edge of the aerofoil approximately 20mm above the root of the blade. At the time of the failure the LP Turbine was at full speed with no load.
Further information related to the failure will be communicated on conclusion of the incident investigation.

Pictures show shaft in at least three pieces and the general devastation you might expect, just can't get the pictures to download ......sorry.

JJ

No estimate is more in danger of erroneous calculation, than those by which a man computes the force of his own intellect........S johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back