Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is AA 203.0 casting weldable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgmix

Aerospace
Dec 15, 2004
US
Is Aluminum Association 203.0 (AA 203.0)casting weldable? Where can I get the specs? SAE? or AMS? or MIL? If it is weldable, what is weld wire? or the weld spec? Where can I get buy the wires? in the USA or Overseas?
Thanks for your help.

rgmix

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the information that I have in my reference material, the Al-Cu alloy systems are at best poor to marginal in terms of weldability. The primary reason is the copper levels in the AA 2XX.0 series castings. These alloys are also heat treatable so after welding the component may require re-heat treatment to achieve the desired strength level for your application.

I would suggest that you attempt to qualify a weld procedure using 2319 or 4145 filler metal with the GTAW process. A good guideline for weld procedure qualification is ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX.

I can't guarantee that you will not have a hot cracking problem with AA 203. In general, the information that I have read indicates that a copper content of about 3% or less in this alloy is more susceptible to hot cracking in comparison to alloys containing slightly higher copper contents - like AA203.0 (4.5-5.5% Cu)

Weld filler metal SFA 5.10 ER or R 2319 or ER or R4145 can be purchased in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back