Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is anyone having problems with service pack 3.0? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdDanzer

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2002
US
I installed service pack 3 and have been having more crashing problems than with 2.1. These files are mostly 2 to 6 years old. In fact I couldn’t view or open a couple of file without closing out and restarting SolidWorks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I installed SP3 (went from SP2.1 to SP3) it created a second SolidWorks directory (detailed in a another thread somewhere) had to do a complete reinstall, all is ok now

EdDanzer said:
When I did my search I noticed that many of the files do not have the new file extension, no icon in front of the file name, just a windows flag.

Many of which files ... the converted or original files?
What do you mean by the new file extension?

If the icon has a windows flag that means that the Windows OS does not know what program to associate the file to, which is understandable if it has no extension.

Are other non-SW files missing extensions?

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

The older SolidWorks part, assembly and drawing files that were opened in 2004, modified, and saved in 2004. This process of opening, modifying rebuilding, and saving a file should change the file extension from .sld to .sldprt, and associate a program with it. With Windows 2000 the file extension is not viewable in Explorer. To view the complete file name you create a short cut, then check the short cuts properties.
The icon problem seems to SolidWorks only, but there were not many other file types created.

EdDanzer
You should not have any SW files with only .sld as an extension.
The conversion process should not change the extensions.
SolidWorks files have always had .sldprt, .sldasm & .slddrw as it's file extensions!!!

As for the file extension not being viewable in Windows 2000 Explorer, Open any folder in Explorer, select Tools > Folder Options > View then under Hidden files & folders deselect Hide extensions for known file types

The .sld extension is associated with AutoCAD & XnView "Slide" files, Paint Shop Pro Styled Lines and, I believe, some Powerpoint Presentation slides.

Early versions of SWX had file extensions of .prt, .asm, and .drw. Around SWX 97-98 they went to .sldprt, .sldasm, and .slddrw. The newer versions of SWX would recognize and open the older files with short extensions and would properly convert them to the new version, but they didn't automatically update the extensions to the new version.

- - -Dennyd

OK ... I stand corrected ... thanks DennyD
I have only been involved with SW98 & later files.

EdDanzer,

You stated "With Windows 2000 the file extension is not viewable in Explorer. To view the complete file name you create a short cut, then check the short cuts properties.
"

I would reccomend opening Windows Explorer and go to the Tools pull-down, then Folder Options..., and go to the View tab. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types".

This setting is on by default in Win 2000 and is terrible for working in SWx where parts and drawings probably have the same name, just different extensions.

Melam,
Thanks for the tip.

Several files that I worked on in Feb, March, and April don’t have a program associated with them even though they are .sldprt extension. One file was created September 17, 1999, and a file save as was done April 22, 2004.

If you RMB the file and go to the Properties of that file. It will list the Created, Modified and Accessed date and time on the file. Have you checked that to check your file information?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Is there a best practice to update files which are checked into PDM/Works?

If one has to check out and check back in manually, this could get painful.

Even if there's an automatic method in the conversion wizard, this will get messy. Bumping revision numbers may confuse BOM's for active products.

rokahn, you should start a new thread. Do a search also, there are other therads on this topic. FYI, files have to be checked in manually. Start from the detail part dwgs, then move to the top assembly dwgs.

"1. When using the toolbox components have to be used completely IN SEQUENCE, or and error is given that the part is already open.
For example: If I insert 4 socket head cap screws, then a washer, and come back to socket heads, it will give me the error "A document named "Socket Head Cap Screw_Al" is already opened. Do you want to show this already-opened document?" This is very annoying, as you loose the drag and drop mating preview (and the part insert preview altogether)."

I have this exact same problem. Not only do I loose the preview, but I can only place one part at a time. This is VERY frustrating.

UPDATE: Regarding the problem I mentioned above, it seems that if I drop a part out of the toolbox, I get the error. However, if I just accept it and drop the part somewhere out of the way, I can then go back and drop parts normally.

It seems like it only happens with the first part dropped from the toolbox into the assembly.

I dropped a PEM press nut that I didn't want into dead space, then went back an dragged in all the correct press nuts that I needed. When I was finished, I went back and deleted the first, unneeded, nut.

When we upgrade to a major release of SolidWorks I run the converssion wizard over the weekend. When we went to sw 2005 the conversion wizard had to convert over 30,000 files, of those 30,000 files there were 10 that did not convert. The reason they did not convert was mainly do to poor practices on the part of the person creating the parts.
It took 2 weekends to finish the converssion though. We are not a large company either

But I would think if you dont convert files everyh release that there would come a time they would not convert just becouse of the changes in SolidWorks.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back