Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is Corn Based Ethanol Good or Bad for Global Warming 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJPellin

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2002
US
I have always suspected that the US method of converting corn into ethanol was detrimental. A new study suggests it has a net negative effect on global warming. In addition to that, we are turning food into fuel which would tend to drive up food prices. In the current situation of high inflation, this seems like a bad idea.

In parts of the US south, people still use corn to create high purity ethanol that they sell for more than US$100 per gallon. They call it moonshine. How does it make sense to take that ethanol and burn it in your car in place of gasoline that cost less than US$5 per gallon?

Johnny Pellin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I get to work with a lot of Vietnamese people in the shipyard industry. One day one was telling me a story about life in Vietnam after the communist takeover. He was telling me about a lack of food, they had to eat rancid food but they had nothing to cook it with. They would fry the food in diesel in order to make it edible. I replied back jokingly, that's funny, here in the US we burn vegetable oil in our diesel cars.

Anyways, with the Russia Ukraine conflict, people are predicting both a shortage of fertilizer and wheat. Meanwhile, here we are doubling down on burning food in our cars.

Sorry for the politics but everything this administration touches turns to shit.

Luckily, we produce most of our staple foods such as corn and grains LP so we'll have some flexibility when the shortages start to come to fruition.

But, I believe you are correct that ethanol doesn't improve our energy situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back