Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is having a criminal history an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najanaja

Civil/Environmental
Feb 23, 2011
US
Hello, I am a freshman working towards a BS in civil. I am really focused and excited about my studies. My problem is four years ago I got drunk and ended up in an old shut down warehouse with a couple friends. Somebody called the police, and I ended up being convicted of burglary and criminal mischief (both felonies). Its the first and only time I've ever done anything like that. Will this affect me getting a job? I know I cant get security clearance, and probably not get into Canada. Any input would be more that appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't stress too much about the expungement. Even if you got the record expunged, would you want to risk answering no to the "convicted of a crime" question on the application? So you would answer yes and say the record was expunged. If the record is still there, you emphasize the past history aspect, clean record since, etc.
It's not like you're running for president!

"It's not like you're running for president!"

Running for president (and being elected) can be done with no experience!

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Don't have a joke with yourself.

It will always be an issue, it will always be something you will need to deal with and be judged on.

You will always need to disclose it up front to any employer in the future.

For security clearance an expungment will still need to be disclosed. However this crime may or may not bar you from a secutirty clearance as you did not commit the crime for personal gain (this makes a huge differance), when I worked at a job requireing a security clearance the persanal gain issue resulted in a denial, being stupid in youth or even a helraiser was not such an issue.

That being said, most older folk will understand the stupidity of youth. In thier day the cops would have sent em home with a kick in the pants instead of a criminal record for a one time offence.

In short, always disclose, and don't worry too much about it. Also make sure you do some interships and get some good referances while you are still in college.

Just my two cents worth.

A question properly stated is a problem half solved.

Always remember, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!

See if you can dig the hole a bit deeper....first you are charged with a felony and you plead insanity? Neither of those will ever endear you to engineering employers or the public. I think you got some bad advice along the way that will likely haunt you for a very long time.

Call my brother the lawyer (any good criminal lawyer) - I am the engineer in the family. For a few hundred bucks - he can research your case and let you know what your REAL options are.

I used to work on security clearance approval.

I would deny someone with an insanity plea. Do you want crazies holding national secrets? (not that you're crazy)

I would not deny someone with a drunk and disorderly (depending on the actual incident).

Gump,

Would you deny the person out of hand, or would you take into account the reason behind the insanity plea? It seems to me in this case the plea was used as a sentence reduction tool, not as a "The voices in his head were screaming" defense.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

If you wanted to have a employer overlook an insanity plea, you would be insane not to claim the reason for the plea as a "sentence reduction tool"

Wouldn't it also depend on the level of clearance being sought? The lowest level of clearance is relatively benign from an investigation perspective. Even character reference interviews are rather pro forma. As WikiLeaks demonstrates, there are tons of people with clearances that probably already shouldn't have them.

However, Special Access and higher clearance requests get more scrutiny. As the probable damage level for a leak increases, those custodians of such information have to have correspondingly better bona fides.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Take MiketheEngineer's recommendation and talk to a lawyer about gettng an expungement or pardon. If you were a minor there(now) may be some compassionate youth grounds to have the record removed.

There should be plenty of jobs outside of the govt. by the time you graduate. If you were to graduate right now, the bigger hold up would be there aren't many jobs available.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

MacGyverS2000,

I would likely have rejected it out of hand, without considering the background information. The liabilities are just too high, and there are plenty of willing applicants to choose from.

najanaja,

So why didn't you try to get the conviction expunged? At least make the attempt, even if it's denied. You can always try for a pardon.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge." Ivana Trump

I would work to get as much as you can removed from the public records as I could.

Insanity is a question that can come up on things that require medical certification for fitness, like a pilots license. You may be found OK eventually, but only after spending a lot of money and enduring a lot of hastle.

Realize, that if you faint one time and proceeded to act on bad advice you may never drive again.

In the age of computers, as old records are harmonized into single shared databases that last forever, it can seem scary.

A lot of older records for minor stuff, once only on paper, simply got lost with time. I suspect not any more.

You can get an idea how your records look by paying for a background check. I know the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation will run one for $35, bucks. Also maybe a good idea if you are thinking of moving in with someone or marrying them. There are limits to what a google search reveals.

Also, maybe try applying for a handgun permit and see what obstacles they uncover.

Maybe try voluntering to be an aux or volunteer police officer in your community, that might generate feedback that helps you understand where you stand. Folks in the law enforcement trade may have connections that enable you to clean things up.

Also, if you are ever arrested again, I wouldn't rely on legal advice from the DA. Maybe find someone that knows criminal law and has only your best interests at heart.

I have never had any of my private jobs do a background check on me. From what I know they never even checked my degree or my past jobs. I wouldn't lie about it, but I would also mention it to whoever is interviewing you.

From everyone that I have ever met in the Engineering field, they are pretty lenient and very understanding. I would be pretty hard on who I hire, and your situation wouldn't bother me as long as you honestly told me what happened. Honesty is key.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

I would strongly recommend hiring a lawyer, and reviewing the State law for requirements for education, registration and practice as a medical mental health professionl. In many States it is illegal to have a diagnosis for mental health other than from a trained and registered mental health professional. Did the court have a pyschiatrist/psychologist verify the condition, or was this something done by a lawyer, DA or Deputy DA? If the State does not allow a lawyer or judge to make medical mental health care diagnoses, and no Court shrink involved, then you might have a basis for overturning and a BAR complaint against those involved.

I had to go to court for nearly the same matter for a relative-court, without benefit of licensed medical metnl health care provider performed diagnosis and attempted to handle prescription through Court order. That hearing lasted about 15 minutes, apologies and reprimands handed out, and done. Got everything I needed done, but would have been a lot less tense, and 10 minutes less, with a lawyer on hand with summons already written up for everyone in the court room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back