Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Hydrotesting Construction or Commissioning activity? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meck91

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2009
CA
Is Hydrotesting Construction or Commissioning activity. Since EHT & Insulation follows hydrotesting so it seems to be a construction activity. On the other hand Hydrotest confirms the pipe integrity and its fitness to withstand operating/design conditions so it seems to serve the purpose of commissioning as well.

Any thoughts?

Meck91

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Construction, NOT commissioning. Post assembly leakage testing is a commissioning activity- hydrotesting of vessels or loose pipe spools is an NDT method used to confirm construction to a code.

With respect, IMHO, this is all testing and hence part of construction including any leak testing.

Commissioning starts with a system fully tested, certified and ready for use. Often this is the handover from construction to operation and requires formal sign off all test results and certification before operations will accept it.

Commissioning is entry of the process fluid / energisation.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

I guess we need to explore the definitions of the two terms.
Construction - 1. the process or act of constructing or manner in which a thing is constructed
2. the thing constructed; a structure
3. a. the business or work of building dwellings, offices, etc
b.( as modifier ): a construction site

Commission - to make or become operative or operable: the plant is due to commission next year

Between the Construction phase and the operating phase there is a step where the plant is handed over to the Client. This step is often called the "Transfer of Care, Custody and Control". There is a document (the CCC Letter) the Constructor and the Client both sign. I do not think the Client would sign the CCC Letter if the Constructor had not performed a full plant wide Hydrotest of all systems. And I do not think the Constructor would release the Plant or sign the CCC Letter if the Client had already started Commissioning activities.

Therefore, I think the Piping System Hydrotest is a function of Construction.

prognosis: Lead or Lag

So far it is unanimous, I never would have considered a possibility that the static test was part of commissioning. If it goes bad, the construction expertise is required to fix it. By the time of commissioning, those folks (and their equipment) are long gone.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Law is the common force organized to act as an obstacle of injustice Frédéric Bastiat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back