Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is it beneficial/recommended to have longitudinal reinforcement placed at the corners of stirrups? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrostru

Civil/Environmental
Dec 15, 2010
US
For beams, is it beneficial/recommended from structural integrity standpoint to have longitudinal reinforcement placed at the corners of the stirrups or not really needed?

Thanks,

Ron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1- A member subjected to given loading is treated as a space truss formed by a series of joined planar trusses.
2- The concrete member reinforced with longitudinal and transverse reinforcement resists shear/torsion by producing a circulatory shear flow at the outermost part of the beam cross-section. Thats why using steel rebars are preferred at circumferential surface of beam (with a nominal cover of 25-50mm.
3- Also the concept of concrete confinement is will suited/played if steel truss is distributed at circumferential surface of beam.

There are quite a few rebar on the top and bottom of the beam so support is not a question.

So the question is about rebar placed at the corner or could be a few inches away?

I have been detailing the corner but just saw some plans other than that.

Confined and confined unconfined concrete terminology, benefits shown in attached curves.
Also using longitudinal reinforcement is needed in almost every concrete structure.

fc-2_haaxxb.jpg

fc_qn3cj8.jpg

It's easier to detail the bars in the corner, since dimensioning is unnecesary. It has a small advantage in confinement also.

The only reason I can think of to not detail the longitudinal bars in the corner of the tie/stirrup, is if the designer is concerned about the bars not being all the way to the bottom of the tie or stirrup, due to the bend radius of the ties/stirrups. I think if that's going to make the beam fail, the designer should just add or upsize the longitudinal reinforcing.

@ BridgeSmith
"It has a small advantage in confinement also."
could you elaborate ?

my interpterion of confinement is similar to following

fc-3_db3lqg.jpg

@ BridgeSmith
"It has a small advantage in confinement also."
could you elaborate ?

I was referring to confinement of the concrete - having the bars farther out puts a little more concrete inside the bars. The difference would be minimal, and the necessity probably non-existent, in most cases.

Placing longitudinal bars in the corners of beam stirrups is an ACI 318 code requirement to ensure (near) instantaneous tension development of the stirrups. See ACI 318-08 Section 12.13.2. (I don't have my ACI 318-19 handy with me, but I don't think it's changed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back