Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it mandatory to use Helical gears(drive-driven) as a set? Is mix usage OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suryakanth

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2020
SG
I recieved a new set of driven & driven helical gear. After recieving i found out that the driver gear not suitable to be mounted on my mating componnet.
i want to use my old driver gear & new driven gear.
pls let me know if that is ok?
why is it always suggested that Gears need to be used a set?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can replace one gear in a set. Gears typically fail by fatigue so it's not uncommon for a pinion to fail while the larger bull gear still has remaining life.

quote:
After receiving i found out that the driver gear not suitable to be mounted on my mating component.
more information required?
was there a re-design of the gears. TugboatEng statement is correct if is the exact tooth thickness, diametral pitch or module and pressure angle.
if the center distance changes, or any of the attributes noted no it can not used.

If the gears are ground quality, free of surface wear, and made of a sufficiently hard finish like carburizing or nitriding, then they should be fully interchangeable.

The big risk is if they are bevels that are lapped as a pair, or when one component is through hardened and a 'break-in' has taken place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back