Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it necesary Heat treatment in this weld?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fborela

Materials
Oct 5, 2010
ES
Hello.

I am going to weld a tube of diameter 60.3 and thickness 6.3 mm. at a pipe of diameter 400 mm. and thickness 40 mm. The tubes are of quality grade T22 (2.25%Cr and 1%Mo). It´s material number P5A.
Is it necesary Post welding heat treatment treatment in according with ASME I PW39? I haven´t it clear. We´ll weld with preheating 150 ºC.
Who is the note of ASME I PW39 that I can apply to avoid PHWT. Perhaps the note 1 d?
It is a Butt weld type with full penetration in the tube 60.3 mm (bevel of 30º). The pipe 400 mm. won´t be machined, only grinded.
I´m trying to enclose a sketch in jpg format of the joint.
Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your answer.
Then if I weld the tube to the pipe in Fillet weld (without penetration in the tube) with throat < 13 mm. in according with note of ASME I PW 39 can I avoid the PWHT

If this tube is pressure retaining, no, you would still require PWHT.

If it is not pressure retaining, then it may be possible to avoid PWHT per (a)(3), but is unlikely based on your tube diameter (continuous fillet weld would exceed 4" length.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back