Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to create rectangular mesh elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVSmith

Computer
Jan 18, 2011
GB
Hello - I've been trying, out of curiosity, and possible need, to mesh areas with rectangular quadrilaterals.

Previously I've only ever used the AMESH command, but that only allows square quadrilaterals to be formed.

I've investigated many sites and searched for previous posts but can't find anything directly related. I had a play with selecting individual lines and LMESH commands but that wasn't successful either?

Before I spend too much more of my life trying this, I thought I'd ask has anyone any experience? Or is it not really possible?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what Ansys does, but their competitor MSC Software has SimCompanion which is a one stop place for all of their documentation and support services.

I would email someone from Ansys and ask if they have something similar. Or ask for support or the location of all of their documentation for Ansys. Try emailing this representative from Ansys.

michael.nisenson@ansys.com

Best of Luck

You can specify the number of divisions or size of elements along lines using the LESIZE command. There are likely other ways I'm not thinking of.

Thanks for the replies.

@ ZeroExperience: I did consider asking ANSYS support but maybe considered the topic a bit frivolous for them. Maybe I should though...

@TERIO: Yes, I have tried using the LESIZE command as, as you say it does seem logical. However, I'm using SHELL131 elements and when I try issuing the LESIZE commands it says I can't mesh an area like that, which I guess is fair.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Making rectangular elements would seem like quite a normal thing to want to do (maybe that's just me...), so it's frustrating that I'm having such difficulty!

Thanks
HVSmith

I don't have ansys at this point to test, but I'm pretty sure that has worked for me before. You may want to lok up mapped meshing in the manual. Do you have an example of what you tried?

TERIO is right.

1-i create lines.
2-i specify the divisons on the lines.
3-I create areas out of the lines (from step1).
4-I use AMESH command (I am using Solid186 elements).

I think following is the way in ANSYS Workbench 13

1. Create a Mesh Control called "Method"

Then In the Details View
2. Select the geometry for the method i.e. any component/face of the component

3. In definition, select "Hex Dominant" for "Method" option

4. In definition, select "Quad/Tri" for "Free face mesh type"

I hope this works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back