Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it Possible to Edit Family Parts in Team Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
We have a Bracket we made into a Master Part and created a Part Family from it. So we can just select certain attributes and get the bracket we want. I did all of the drafting ahead of time on the Master File so it would carry over to the family parts when they were created. We knew there would be some things that wouldnt carry over and we were hoping to go into individual parts after they were created to update drafting and add their own stock sizes and such. Unfortunately, Team Center gives and error when trying to save one that "Family Parts many not be saved".

Here are my questions....
1) Is there any way around this so I can save the children after the updated drafting is done?
If Not...
2) Is there a way to separate the connection then reconnect them after? (Someone called it Orphan the part, but everything I find on ORphans seems to be with Mesh) Not sure what that it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the drawing attached to the same part file as the model or are they separate? (master model or no basically?)

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

One suggestion would be to duplicate the drafting onto a separate drawing file dataset inside the same TC item that uses views from the family member part. That's more of a workaround than a solution though since the drafting wouldn't necessarily update if the part family is updated from the master part.

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

Thanks for replying. It looks like we found a way to do things.

I found that in Native, it also will not let you save family part files. However, it will allow you to do a save as. So I updated the drafting in Native, and saved as (keeping the same file name) to another folder. Then when all changes were done and all files were ready, I deleted the original files and moved the new files to the original directory so the Master part would still know where to load it from. Once all is set, we import it to team center.

Unfortunately, after doing that, I have found I missed one attribute that needed to be changed. So I had to delete them all from TC and fix them (doing the save as to each all over again and moving them back to the right folder) and import it to TC again. ...... Though the more I think on it, I might not have to move it back to the original folder if I am importing them to TC. lol You only need to do that if you are keeping it in Native.

This may not have been the most efficient way, but it works and I am almost done. lol

When I do the save as to a different folder (So I can save it with the same name), if I try to save it again, it will not let me, giving me the same error as I got before, about not being able to save family parts files. Then I deleted the original file and moved the new one to the correct folder. When I added the master to a file as a component, it allowed me to go through the attributes and pick whichever bracket I needed and still gave the correct file. It was the updated file.

We added the master file and then all of the family parts to Team Center, then tried to add the master file as a component to test it and it seemed to work perfect.

Im not sure of what link you are talking about to be honest, but as long as it works, will it matter? Or am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back