Status
Not open for further replies.

freshco

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2012
CA
hello all,

this is my first post,heres my story:

i graduated in 2011 and have been working for the past 6 months at a major contracting company (doing heavy industrial construction)

i want to know is it possible to get into design engineering (with in the EPC companies) with "other experience" or does your first job define you?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

freshco: EPCs should be looking for people like you, with some field experience before they join. As to what they actually are looking for when they hire, I'm the wrong person to ask.

Ok, first, I have no idea what an "EPC" is.

Second, to quote myself from another post on this same forum earlier today:
"I cannot answer for the specifics of your question because I am in a completely different field, but I can tell you this: at only 6 years into your career you have only just begun. It is not too late at all. In fact you have plenty of time to completely change your career several times if you wanted to. In my 30+ years I have worked for large and small manufacturers, large and small consulting firms, insurance companies, and many others. Worked for family owned businesses, large public corporations, small businesses, and myself. I've done product design, facility design, production equipment design, system integration, project management, departmental management, failure analysis, program development, ... I could go on and on. The point is this: follow your heart, your passion. You do not want to look back on your life with regret."

Without having any knowlege on what you do, the original post sounds like you are working for an integration company, and you want to get into the "component" design of the final product.

One way to get into it is to talk to your "component" suppliers (EPC?) about the product they are selling you. Ask specific details of the design and inner workings of the component without being an annoying pest. People like to talk about what they do. This will give you some insight on the design of their product, and eventually points of contact at the component suppliers.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses!

I should have been a little bit more specific
EPC company= engineering procurement construction company

If you have had to build other people's designs you will likely have some ideas about what does not work in the real world. All design guys should have some field experience. I would say you are well-placed for a design role if you can get on top of the other basics like using design software relevant to your field, being able to write a good tight specification, being able to capture all the relevant detail on a drawing in such a way that it is understandable by others, etc.

I'd like to engineer a Marine steam turbine, using solar energy in order to produce hot enough water to make enough steam to power a small light bulb, and slowly work my way up to a bigger design.

I started off my career for 2.5 years in the construction field. My experience there was barely enough to qualify me to sit for the PE Exam it was so far outside of 'design' work. I knew I wanted to get into design though and roughly 5 years later I have finally landed the job I have always been striving for (structural engineering for a building design firm).

The key to breaking out for me was being willing to take a sideways step at first. I left the contractor and went to a general civil design position (land development). It was nowhere near the type of design work I wanted but it got me into an office which taught me some design skills. Eventually, I found a job as a structural engineer but not in buildings. And after a few years, I finally was able to get to the building side.

The trick, you have to use the experience you have to sell yourself to that next position. It takes some ambition. Maybe someone wouldn't consider your experience valuable to a design firm but I bet you have a lot more 'constructability and logistical' sense than someone else! That's the kind of thing you can use to leverage yourself into something closer to what you want to do.

Also, get involved in a society like ASCE and start attending events. People hire experience but they also hire personalities and if they get to know you first before you 'interview' for a job in a design firm, they may decide they want 'You' and not just be discouraged by lack of experience.

Sorry for the novel...but yes, it's possible to breakout especially since this is only your first job!

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back