Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to model a spring along a datum curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottAW

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2003
US
Is it possible to create a helical sweep and have it follow a datum curve or perhaps even go through points like a pipe would?

I'm trying to create a mechanical spring that will be bent in a few directions. Not sure what the best approach is for this. It actually is a continuous length spring, probably 36" long or so, that will be used over some electrical wiring to act as a protective sheath. The wiring will be created using the pipe function and a set of datum points.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TheTick -

Not quite sure how a variable section sweep would help, the spring will have the same round section throughout. Not sure what a law curve is?

You can use series of datum curves which are created by equation to define the intended shape of spring. Later these curves can be made into a composite curve and can be used for feature creation.

Regards,
Yogesh Birari

ScottAW:

Happy weekend. Hope today finds you among those with power. I have a more elaborate response for you, and I was typing it in just as the site went down Thursday. I managed to cut-paste-and-save my response at my workstation. I will post it Monday.

Regards,
Tick

[bat]All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted.[bat]

This is the reply I was writing when the sit went down.

I don't have Pro/E readily available, and it's been a while.

Variable section sweep would allow you to change parameters with respect to the position along the sweep path. I forget exactly how it is governed, but you can write an equation that incorporates relative position on the sweep path from 0 to 1 (0=start, 1=finish).

For instance, if you wanted a line to spiral around the guide curve 3 times as it was swept, you could control the angle of the line w.r.t. the guide using an equation like angle = 3*t*360 where "t" varies from 0 to 1 as the section travels along the guide.

Law curves work in a similar manner. If you can describe x, y, and z components as functions of "t" where t=0 to 1, you can build a line from the equations. This works well for wave washers.

[bat]All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted.[bat]

Variable Section Sweeps are governed by the value "trajpar" which varies from 0 to 1 along the sweep path. trajpar stands for trajectory parameter this might help you remember it better when doing Variable Section Sweeps. "t" is the value used for curve by equation and does the same thing but only trajpar can be used for sweeps.

n=5
Angle_dim=360*n*trajpar

would create a surface that would define a helix with 5 revolutions along a center curve. you could then create a datum curve from the outer edge of this surface and hide the surface using layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back