Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is it possible.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnie4

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2005
US
I recieve iges files from one of our customers on a regular basis and up till now I have been able to take the iges part open it in SW use the insert bends command and viola! My part is flattened.
Recently I was given a iges part that had 4 bends and two different bend radii, When I insert bends the part is cut off after the first bend right before the start of the second bend. is there a way to flatten IGES parts with multiple bend radii?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The part should flatten fine with multiple bend radii. Verify that the thickness of the part is consistent everywhere.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

I've converted parts w/ multiple bend radii no problem in the past. I don't think that is your problem.

Double-check the thicknesses and parallelism of each set of flange faces, all the way to 8 places for distance and angle. If the source is a CATIA file, don't be surprised if you find errors.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

One trick I've used is to insert an offset surface at "0.0" along one side of the part and then delete the solid body. You are then left with only the surface. Next, thicken the surface to match your material and insert bends like normal.

This helps insure you have a constant thickness throughout your part. It also allows a little more flexability if you need to change the material thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back