Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is it required to have first responder certicificate to review flood damaged buildings?

Hi Everyone,

The area I am in is currently hit by major floods in the aftermath of hurricane Helene. I have been asked to do structural reviews of flood impacted buildings.

The courses for first responders provide certification.
Has that become a requirement for licensed structural engineers to review flood damaged buildings only with first responder certificate?

Thanks

I would be curious to hear this. I was in Asheville Friday morning but left around 9:30 to avoid getting stuck. What a disaster.

Whoever is asking you to perform the review gets to set the qualifications. I doubt your average homeowner or commercial building owner cares. They just want a knowledgeable opinion they can use.

I'm CalOES trained for seismic events -- that training touches on process and liability, with some procedure and technical information. It was useful, but not having it wouldn't stop me from being helpful in the face of a natural disaster event. You might just do a little research on the liability side if you're operating outside the conventional contractual arrangements or if you're working specifically with some government agency.

Not sure whether it's required but if you are interested in getting the CalOES SAP Evaluator training, there's one this Friday & it's pretty affordable. I'm taking it because I don't work with this type of construction day to day and probably would not be adequately qualified without it.

Hope you and yours are alright with the flooding going on, the images I've been seeing coming out of there are devastating.

Back