Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it too early for raise? I have worked at this company for 6 months. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBSME

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2014
US
Hello All,

I started working at my current company 6 months ago and I have been doing well (about 2 months ago my manager called me in his office and told me I am doing well). I have learned a lot and I am learning more and more everyday. When I started, I knew nothing about the company and what they do. They hired me as an entry level engineer and offered me lower salary. Now, after 6 months, I believe I need a raise because I have done well enough and can do same stuff that my co-workers (engineers) do but they make more money than what I do.

Now my questions are:
1-Is it too early to ask for raise? (my financial situation is not too good).
2-What can I do to make them give me raise (hardwork, come up with new idea for a new product, solve a big problem of a company? ,etc)

I just want to make sure I get what I deserve, not too low and not too high so its good for both company and me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fresh engineers are usually accustomed to relatively instantaneous feedback (i.e., grades) from their years of school. It doesn't always work that way in the workforce. I'd about guarantee that your boss's #1 job is not personnel issues, but bringing projects in on time and on budget. It is hard to find time to do the "one minute manager" routine, going around patting everyone on the back for doing exactly what they're getting paid for. In most companies, money for raises is budgeted annually, so he may not have any money to give you regardless of your performance. Same with bonuses. It would be nice if he recognized your performance with money, but bringing you into the office to assure you that you're doing a good job is about all I'd expect at this point.

@RossABQ: I had never considered the switch in 'culture' affecting the expectations of new engineers. Your point about "instant feedback" is very interesting and I could see that being true. Looking back, I can only wonder if that was part of my difficult transition during my first career job out of school. That point certainly creates a little more empathy for new engineers on my part. That /is/ a rather rough transition to make. Thanks.

I know you may feel like you are doing such a great job for the company...but the reality is that for most new grads, for the first six months to 1 year, you are mostly just costing the company money in training you how to do your job. Most companies will give yearly raises, based on a yearly or multiple quarterly performance appraisals. Depending when you were hired in this cycle, it might be over a year before you actually see a raise. However, once you are through this initial training/trial period and making consistent positive contributions to the company, you might expect regular yearly raises, with an occasional mid-year raise/promotion if you truly are doing an above-standard job. If your company is a large company, they will probably have a policy or procedure that you can refer to for raises, promotions and job performance appraisals.

An LPS for Ross... I, too, hadn't thought of the "instant feedback" point. It does take a while to get out of that habit...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Six months and wanting a raise? Give me a break! I can say this with a great deal of confidence and with no ill intent toward you: You aren't really worth the money you're being paid now! "Patience, grasshopper." (That's a famous quote from a TV show that was LONG before your time, Kung Fu.)

Around here we have a phrase: "Your reward is the opportunity to do more good work!"

It all depends on where you work, but I think a lot of that is out of your control. What you should focus on is setting goals, finding out what you need to learn, and going out to learn it. Consider yourself a craftsman and continually get better at your trade.

I don't listen to people when they say, you are too young, or too inexperienced. I believe skill will prevail eventually.

You need to keep your ears open during meetings or with conversations with other co-workers. Find out how your company makes money, and get to the heart of the matter. From there work backwards find out what are the biggest problems your company faces and work on these things on your spare time. Come up with solutions, you are not always going to be right, but sometimes you will be, and eventually people will take notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back