Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it worth to pursue MBA for Civil Engineer? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdynamic

Civil/Environmental
Apr 28, 2005
US
I am a registered Engineer in California (Government) with MSCE in Stanford. I have been thirsty on something, e.g., higher level of management or administration knowledge / skills for my career. Is it really worth to pursue MBA degree for my thirsty? I hope you understand what I am talking about.

I don't think many people from Governments apply to MBA program. However, I would like to challenge if it gives me a Bigger Picture for my career in the future.

Any brainstorming suggestion or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :->

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are motivated that way, don't go for the MBA, go the MPA (Masters in Public Administration) route as it is geared more to the Governmental side of Administration. The MBA is geared more for the private sector. Be what it may, I have both. The MPA after the MBA.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Because of the very limited scope of an engineering degree, you would find the MBA valuable in your overall education. For example, an engineering would not take any classes in business, econ, or marketing.

Unfortunately, engineering management does not value that education and it is unlikely that you would be paid a higher value for having an MBA. Take that from experience. However, your employer will probably pay for the MBA if you go part-time to school.

If you are desiring to change careers into the MBA realm, you would have to start from scratch, quit your job, and then go to one of the top schools. Going to the average MBA program will not help much as employers interested in hiring top MBA's do not recruit at the average schools.

Thanks, Mike and bimr.
Actually, I didn't know about MPA but I will research it. All your comments will be very helpful.

Thanks again for your time and good advice! [sunshine]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back