Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is manual calculation still needed nowadays in structural design? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccpe

Civil/Environmental
Apr 29, 2007
CA
I have been working in construction and engineering field for many years. But I have not done any structural design or analysis extensively for at least 10 years although I would analyze structures very roughly or on concept level occasionally. When I was doing structural design many years ago, my manager didn't want to buy computers and software to complete designs. So I had to do everything manually. Fortunately, the company had a small library contained various standards, codes, engineering manuals, etc. I could always found the design data of various loads (wind load, live load for various structures, etc.), property for common material (weight, strength, elongation rate, proportion, etc.) and common structural calculation formulas. But I know that software are so powerful now. They can do almost all structural calculation for us and are much faster. Do we still need to master manual structural calculation skills?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IDS said:
The blind reliance on books by some engineers..
cliff234 said:
To blindly rely on software is,...

As someone who has only been a structural engineer for 12 years I can admit to having fallen into both these categories on occasion, some early in my career some later. I've reached a point now where I have enough experience that I can approach things trying to have any idea of what the results should be, not necessarily always by the numbers I start simple with shapes of shear, moment, and deflection diagrams which I've found to be the quickest indicators of an incorrect analysis or assumption in the model, or at times my own misunderstanding of the behavior. If it is an analysis type I'm not fully grasping I run it in multiple software packages, try to find multiple text references, discuss my hang up or misunderstanding with my seniors, and when I'm really stuck I post here.

IDS said:
In addition, engineers must always ask themselves, “What did the calculation not check?” What are the flaws in the text? What are the unstated assumptions? Are you even aware of all of the unstated assumptions?
cliff234 said:
..“Does this make sense?” ...“What did the computer not check?” What are the flaws in the software? What are the default settings? Are you even aware of all of the default settings?...

I think this is some great combined advice, it's not always about the computer not checking something perhaps you knew it did not check something but you did not know that it was a required check for calculation. It's the garbage in garbage out saying.

I would add onto IDS' list with "Do I know what this check is for?","Should I ask for help interpreting these results?"

I've found throughout my career that asking for help for fear of feeling like an idiot is a hurdle everyone has trouble jumping over.

Open Source Structural Applications:

From the original post
ccpe said:
But I know that software are so powerful now. They can do almost all structural calculation for us and are much faster. Do we still need to master manual structural calculation skills?

It still seems to me the question is can we solely rely on a computer that has some powerful structural analysis software? My answer is no we cannot and most likely will never be able to. Too many factors involved for the project to go off without a hitch. We all need to question computer output to some degree, not blindly accept it.
[ul]
[li]Program has glitch no one ever noticed[/li]
[li]Program is correct but my input is wrong (face it, we all make that mistake at least once a month)[/li]
[li]The less skilled you are at the classical methods, the more prone you are to accept erroneous output[/li]
[li]The less experienced you are, the more prone you are to miss that the output looks erroneous[/li]
[li]Other[/li]
[/ul]

The way we "question" the output can be done in multiple ways, we can do hand calcs, use a spreadsheet, use Mathcad etc. but as already stated, we need to take a breather and review any output regardless of how powerful software can be. The talents and tools we use to review it are going to be different for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back