Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is NI LabView suitable for use as control system

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPW363

Petroleum
Oct 13, 2006
US
I am considering using NI Cards and LabView as the platform for a manufacturing control system and wonder what experienced Controls & Instrumentation engineers think about this option. Its clearly cheaper than using industrial PLCs and smooths the transition from prototype to production.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I understand it, NI uses Windows I/O hardware and a Windows box as its platform for its software.

I'm in the process world and no one uses Windows for control; Windows is used for an HMI or SCADA platforms.

A friend in semiconductor manufacturing says that they use NI all the time for engineering and production operations. NI seems to fit well in the programmable test and measurement world.

danw2's understanding is not correct. LabVIEW can run on many platforms other than a Windows PC or be used to program devices such as CPUs with RTOS or FPGAs, and is suitable for use in control systems on many of those other platforms/devices, including on NI's own industrially-hardened programmable automation controller platforms such as CompactRIO or Compact Fieldpoint. It also creates the HMI as you program, so there are some definite development advantages of using it for controller programming. LabVIEW can also be used by itself as an HMI/SCADA application, communicating with other industrial controllers using OPC.

BPW363, I encourage you to go to NI's website for more information. Though I've never used them in an industrial control application, I have a colleague at another company who uses them all the time. By the way, I'm not affiliated with NI nor advocating the use of their products, I just don't like to see incorrect information given out.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

If you are looking for something you can grow into, you might want to consider Opto22's programmable automation controllers (PAC). They may cost less than even the NI system you are considering, run on dedicated hardware, and avoid the costly software licensing renewals that NI and others will require over time. I started using their system for my manufacturing equipment in 2012, and am thrilled with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back