Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Ni-Resist still widely available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonLouie

Materials
Aug 13, 2007
CA
Hello,
We have put out a few requests for quotation and Ni-resist was specified for the pump impellers. We have received some feedback from vendors that Ni-resist is no longer widely fabricated due to machining difficulties and 410 has been offered to us instead.

Is this a true statement? Is Ni-resist an "old" material that is not used anymore? This is the first time I have heard that Ni-resist is not used anymore.

Thank you and I value everyone's experience and input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you are shopping in the right place as Ni-Resist is still available and machined everyday. Granted it's not the easiest stuff to machine people have been doing it for many years with far less tooling than what's available today.
I would checkout some different suppliers.

It is a lot easier to machine than 410, and it has a lot better corrosion resistance.
What part of the country are you in? There are still a lot of guys pouring it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Ni resist which type D1 or D2? They are available and can be easily machined. perhaps you have been misled.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Edison

The vendors you have selected just don't deal in Ni-Resist and don't want to downright "no bid" it. They are trying to sell you what they got. Find other vendors. Those who are experienced with it will jump at your application.

rmw

Find foundries that deal with ductile iron instead of stainless steel.

Hi JasonLouie

We make various ni-resist impellers all the time, almost daily...yes, it can be done... what size impeller do you have in mind? and were do you live? and what sort of application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back