Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is SW on the right track? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phadreus

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2005
US
I’ll throw this out, hopefully for some constructive candid feedback.

I have been seeing a reoccurring theme since getting involved with SW (back in 2004), and have been receiving a good deal of feedback from some of my seasoned users that have made the same observation, since 1999. The observation is; each release of SW since 1999 has not significantly improved in stability and performance. Also, the Service Pack route has been netting the same type of results; they fix some bugs and cause new problems each time. We seem to have experienced an “excessive” amount of “bugs” and problems in SW 2007, more so than we were accustomed to seeing in SW 2004 and SW 2006 (SW 2005 was a nightmare for us). Maybe the odd numbered releases have more problems? ?

I attended a local User Group Mtg for the SW 2007 rollout and after seeing all the new “gee whiz” functions, I asked the SW Regional Sales Mgr “all the new features are great, however; could SW drive their next release solely towards stability, performance and making all existing functions work well?” I was in an audience of about 70 persons, and overall they reacted as a mob. I was very surprised how vocal the group was in agreeing with my sentiment. The Sales Mgr’s response was “we hear this all the time, and this is an argument that exists within SW…the fact is that new features sell well, and what would we say to new customers; “SW 200X, now our stuff works”, that wouldn’t sell”. I argued that they could easily sell this as “SW 200X, the most stable, best performing package on the market”. Another user spoke up and said “I’ve been on SW since 1997, and between 1997 and 1999; SW had the market for great performance and great stability. We bought SW based on word of mouth from other users that raved about performance and stability and you never hear of that anymore”. The Sales Mgr, had no real response to pacify the group.

We run a pretty tight ship in our company, being the CAD Manager; I have extensive data since SW 2004 on benchmarking our performance as well as Crash logs provided by my users. There is a definite downward trend that I have observed in stability and performance.

Does anyone have any other observations that can give perspective beyond these observations? BTW, I would like to keep this constructive and am not intending on moaning and complaining only. I AM a big fan of SW and want to see them succeed.

Cheers

M.B. Price CSWP
Automated Assembly & Test Systems

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think SW is heading in the right direction. As far as crashing goes I think a massive portion of the blame has to rest on Microsofts shoulders for failing year after year to provide a stable operating system. (P.S. as soon as SW is certified MAC stable I am outta the PC realm!)

Also from my own point of view, every time I run a new version of any cad software I always try running it to the tipping point.

* rendering at super hi-res/shadow settings
* adding as many parts and tables to a part

Basically giving the software a run for it's money. I think that SW works in a fine balance of providing new features with an acceptable stability level.

I think if you used SW 2008 with the same modeling/system limitations we had in SW 2000 we wouldn't have any crashes. So I think a bit of the blame has to do with what we ask SW to do, as we're always pushing it's limits.

60% of the time, it works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back