Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is synthetic oil this good???

Status
Not open for further replies.

evelrod

Automotive
Jan 15, 2001
US
This article was sent to me by AVO in Colorado. I am not sure what to make of it so I present it as I received it in an email yesterday.

"(article in Circle Track) written by Gary Penn of GM performance parts
"
"At GM we run synthetic oil (and) then run the 385 engine out of oil at 1000 feet because we only run 3 qt. of 0-10 wt. in the motor! No windage losses and no pumping loss from ghe oil pump. Engine is running about 2 sec. w/o oil pressure but we see no undue wear. The advanced quality of oils on the market today means that the old rule of thumb of 10 lbs. per 1000 rpm is not valid anymore."

I know technology in lubricants has come a long way since I quit dragracing back in the early 60's so none of this comes as a surprise but, the added hp gained from such a risky endevour hardly seems worthwile. Comments?

Rod

I'm assuming this is a factory backed effort and the price of a few engines may be worth "win on Sunday, sell on Monday". We used to drain factory synthetic out of brand new outdrives when I taught school and after being diassembled and reaasmbled a dozen times, the internals were still very slippery, so the residual effects could last 2 seconds under load. Still, I'd rather try it in your motor first!

Blacksmith

Seems like when Consumer Reports tried the old "Look Ma, No Oil" additive demo it took their cars a minute or two to sieze after draining. So maybe 2 seconds isn't long for the oil film to dissipate regardless of oil type?

As I understand it, Oil pressure causes flow, not film pressure. Flow cools bearings. If the bearings are not "hot" to start with, two seconds seems a reasonable time for a lubricated, but not cooled crank to run at full throttle without damage

Some synthetics when compared to mineral based oils do improve engine life in oil surge situations.

I know this from personal experience. 6 engines running a famous brand, mineral based raceing oil blew up in practice, as the oil system had a surge problem. We built one more from the best of the broken bits, on the eve of the race, we ran one of the original brand full synthetic oils, but poured out of the sponsors bottles, and won the race.

I also know you can pick which engine ran synthetic when you pick up the parts, even after a wash in petrol, as the parts are still quite noticably slippery.

So yes I believe him, but I still would only do it if someone wanted a win at "ALL COSTS"

Regards
pat

We built one more from the best of the broken bits...and won the race.

Did the engine failures destroy all the parts that were sensitive to lubrication problems???? Everything left over that was useable could take the punishment!

Just kidding! Mike

There must be some good to the synthetics---(Mobil 1 15W-50)

May 4/5 at BRP in a 30 minute qualifying race under cool and heavy rain conditions (oil temp 160f and water 180f max) I lost oil press twice for a total of ~30 seconds (we got that from the video replay). The warning light is triggered at 45psi and the Accusump will maintain at least 20psi min for about 30 seconds at full throttle (rev limiter @ 7400). All I can say is that the bottom end looks like I just put it together after two weekends of racing! And---I even won both. How bout that? I'm convinced!

Rod

I have run a 1983 300D Mercedes, with a bypass filter to remove the soot. With 200 000 km (125000 mi) on a premium synthetic oil. Without the bypass, analysis shows I could run 25000 km without changing oil, but change the filter and add.

With the bypass, went 110000 km (69000 mi) changing the filter and adding. Using the synthetic, I have avoided changing the front seal. because it quit leaking, that is a $400 job. My regular filter is on the top of the engine, so I did not have to crawl under the car about 16 times in 2 years.

A Cummins driver made a parking lot remark "a real quiet diesel" Another diesel owner on the same oil, his dad made the comment that the engine ran quieter, and the son did not inform his dad about the oil change.

This technology advanced since 1972, is akin to Copernicus informing the scientific community that the earth is not the center of the universe. There are people today who still believe the opposite.

North America would save substantially by switching to synthetic.

rosyron@telusplanet.net

Yes, I'm convinced. In my first experience, my 300 cid Ford F250 quit overheating in 100 degree stop and go traffic and my wife remarked that the Chrysler 2.2 ran quieter. I've used synthetic ever since - yes we could save a lot.

Blacksmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back