Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is the Grass Greener Elsewhere? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME4321

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2010
US
I am writing this on a Saturday night. I am feeling guilty because I should be working on my documentation package I must submit next week rather than rant about my job. But come to think of it, I am the only engineer at my company who would entertain the notion of feeling guilty for slacking on a Saturday night. Apparently the other engineers “work smarter, not harder”.

Based on what I have read on these posts it seems overwork and uncompensated overtime are the norm. The general consensus is; “if you don’t like it just leave”. And that is exactly where I am now. However, given my relative low time as a project engineer, I worry I may be making a bold move I will regret later. Perhaps the difficulties I am encountering are consistent with the norm. Please read my story and let me know what you think.

I received my engineering degree about three years ago and have been working at one company since graduation. However, I differ from most engineers due to the fact I am middle-aged and earned my degree much later in life. This makes it more difficult to compare my situation with other recent grads. Prior to earning my degree, I had some impressive companies on my resume. I worked for years at a large aircraft manufacturer in the Seattle area until I was laid off. After that I worked as a software tester at a large software company in the same region. In addition to that, I worked for years in aerospace quality assurance. I am technically astute, and graduated Summa Cum Laude. My background taught me that some A+ engineering students can be outsmarted by experienced shop floor technicians. Therefore, I never discuss my academic status at work due to my belief that book smarts only go so far and can occasionally place unrealistic demands and scrutiny on myself.

When I started working for this company they were very flexible with my hours. However, being a new-hire and new to mechanical engineering, I routinely worked 45 to 50 hour weeks believing the company shouldn’t have to waste time and resources bringing me up to snuff. I never concerned myself with the fact it was uncompensated overtime. I was a salaried engineer now not some whiney union worker! Now, roll the clocks forward almost three years and my 6 month average is over 50 hours a week (after subtracting 30 minute lunches which are “off the clock”). I routinely bring work home on the weekends which is not even factored into the 50 hour weeks. This past month average is 60 hours a week. I don’t recall when I last worked less than 45 hours in a given week. There is unofficial flex time I last used in August for half a day. Other than that, no absences other than the two weeks of PTO I use sparingly. I’m ashamed to admit when I last took time off to even go to the doctor or dentist. The only light at the end of the tunnel is after some milestones are reached in another month, then I can “relax” since I will be back to my 50 hour weeks. I guess you can say I am burned out.

It is a small company with less than five mechanical engineers. Only one of them puts in hours that sometimes approach mine. The rest work 45 hours a week maximum. Routinely I am there until late in the evening when everyone is gone. I might be more inclined to “do it for the team” if there was a genuine team effort.

I don’t feel like talking to my manager is an option. It has been made clear that you “never negotiate without a backup plan”. Meaning have another job lined up. Other generic comments have been made about certain employees working long hours needlessly (Gee, could they be talking about me?). Apparently if you “work smart” you can get your job done in a 40 hour week. The problem with that logic is I do not have the support structure the other engineers have. I create my own solid models and drawings 90% of the time. Of the two designers/drafters there, one is off limits and devoted solely to my manager. The other is devoted to other senior engineers. So I get intermittent help from a young part timer that needs training (presumably by me) and is mistake prone. There are numerous documents that are my sole responsibility as the project engineer to write. I juggle close to ten unrelated projects.

My personality type is such that if get slack from support personnel I just end up doing the tasks myself. Some of the support personnel are vital to performing my job (test lab for instance). However, they seem immune to reprimand and don’t work a minute past their 8 hour day. I have literally been kicked out of the lab and had the door slammed in my face while I was in the middle of my testing (testing they should have been doing) because it was the end of their shift. It is commonplace for me to have to circumnavigate test engineers and technicians who are standing around B.S.ing while I am in the middle of doing work that is technically their responsibility. I think every company has people who should have long since been fired but are immune for some reason and nobody except a handful know exactly why. The more senior engineers almost never perform their own tests in the lab and the technicians are more receptive to their requests.

My base salary is competitive although I am on my wife’s health insurance. I already mentioned there is no overtime compensation (or acknowledgement that I even work overtime). Beyond that, there is meager company matching of the 401k. Since I don’t rely on their health insurance it makes it easier to pick up and leave and it makes hourly contract jobs seem rather attractive. My manager is aware of my long hours since he is copied in many of my late night email correspondences. I honestly think when he read those emails he considers it proof of my incompetence rather than a measure of my workload and dedication.

I know many of you have experienced far worse situations. However, since the perquisite to talking to my manager is having a backup plan, I think I need to look elsewhere before doing anything. I think once I start talking to other employers, my negotiation with my manager may be in the form of me giving him a two week notice and giving another company a conscientious, hard working project engineer. I know I need to be cautious when I negotiate with a new company since I cannot mention these difficulties for fear of being labeled a complainer.

Is my situation consistent with the norm? Would you seek an alternative job as a backup plan before confronting the manager? Are those “alternatives” the same situation just with a different company name? Is a two week notice appropriate or should I offer up to one month?

Thanks for taking the time to read my long rant.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The grass may be greener or the grass could also be plastic painted green. From what I can see you need to take control of the situation. Stop working overtime past 45 hours, next month make it 40 hrs. When you give the technicians a task give it to them and leave don’t watch/help/lead the way. Give them the directive and let them work it out. If you do work 10hrs over time in a week make sure your boss knows why and that you’re doing the extra yards with expect compensation. Never assume that your boss knows what is going on, normally they don’t.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Most of the problems you highlight do seem to be of your own making, even if the reasons for you being in this position are all very honourable.

No one else seems to put in the hours you do and as you say you gain no extra pay and your salary is competitive it would be fair to assume everyone else’s is as well.

Basically rightly or wrongly people will not stop you working these hours and people will give extra work to those who they know will do it. This is not only true in a working environment but also applies to just about every social club or organisation.

There is nothing you say that suggests the company is bad (or at least any worse than most companies) only the situation you find yourself in and I am sure you could create that situation in any company you may join.

Two of my seven jobs have been salaried and I have very similar experiences with those positions. Whether stated or not the company always expects the "extra effort" favor them. The implication that you are not hourly, never means you can put in less than 8 hrs/day or 40+ hrs/week.

As for the flex time - they would only tacitly approve of some slight uses thereof - even when you offered to come in early so as to leave early for a voluntary commitment elsewhere. "They did not want the 'hourly' employees to see you leaving early every Wednesday".

As Ajack1 says, you created the situation due to your readily putting in the extra hours. No one is going to discourage you as they are making money off of your efforts.

In my last salaried position, with a Fortune 500 paper manufacturer, we had 4 structural engineers at the same level under a corporate engineering department manager. Two of us put in hours as you described, while the other two always had weekend plans and rarely put in over 42 to 45 hrs/week. My compatriot was continually chastised for not being there at the starting time, even though he always stayed well into the evening after everyone else (including me) had gone home. Management looked at start time and lunch hours as a measure of how well their departments were run. Truly an hourly punch-clock mentallity, but an outgrowth of the mill/shop floors where many of them had gotten their starts.

When work was distributed it was often proportioned by how much you could get done. This then perpetuated the fact that the two of us were continually buried. I got my projects done on time and generally under budget. One of the two 40 hour guys, was always bringing in consultants at the last minute and fabriating excuses for budget and schedule issues. Still at company functions, he was always getting face-time with VP's while I was sitting on the sidelines with the other nerdy engineers.

Still, raises were generally about the same and bonuses became a joke as they never amounted to anywhere near your average hourly wage. Eventually, they were added to your 401k and the amounts diminished after you no longer got them directly.

I realize that this sounds jaded; and I probably am. I am at the end of my career and am currently hourly for a mid-size consultant that caters to the paper industry. Things are not perfect here, but I get paid for my efforts; I don't work overtime unless it is necessary to meet schedule; and we have some flexibility in making up time.

Whether you have another position lined up or not - start weening your company off of your OT. Gradually get down to what the "normal" hours are. You'll feel better and they may not even notice.

Good luck.

gjc

ME4321,

This is what I think...

You are a smart man with amazing credentials and experiences. You are dedicated and take pride in your projects. You sound like a man who would be an asset to my team (if I had one).

It is not clear to me in your letter if or how you want to be compensated for going beyond the call of duty. Do you want to work fewer hours or do you want to be compensated for the overtime you are putting in? I do not sense that money is the issue though.

We should not compare ourselves to others because there will always be greater and lesser people than ourselves and it is a factor in a person’s internal conflict.

I read a lack of self esteem, a need for recognition, frustrations with working with unionized support groups and that you are overly hard on yourself. These are both self imposed and opportunities for improvement for your management.

Suggestions for your consideration:

1.Work on you self esteem. Find a group, therapist, book or whatever and love yourself more. Find a passion outside of work. Volunteer/community work is a positive avenue. What about spending more time with your wife or is she a workaholic also? Do you have children? Do you have a pet?

2.Request a meeting with your boss to discuss your performance. Present for him/her a work prioritization initiative for the lab. Advise him of that you will be reducing your hours and explain that support will be needed to keep up to your current output.

From my experienes I do not believe the grass will be greener on the other side for you. It might be for a little while until the novelty wears off. Unless your issues are dealt with they will follow you wherever you go.

No, it is not the norm. There are good and fair employers. As you have heard before, there is also smarter way to work. If you are getting paid for 40 hrs, do not work more than 40 hrs. If any one asks, just let them know the exactly that. If they fire you on this, that will only prove that you were not smart enough to leave sooner on your terms.

As for the color of grass on the other side and rest of the world, it is what you want it to be or the color of your sunglasses.

And I am sure you have heard this before too that if you do not change what you do, the results will not be any different.

Rafiq Bulsara

Being of a rather more bolshie attitude than you, first I'd issue a timing plan for each project i wa sinvolved with, copies to my manager and the test sections manager. Thhis would identify when test parts are available and when the results are required by, make sure that the timing is feasible and has been discussed.

If the test section fail to supply test results on the dates required then rattle their cage.

Next up, you have access to a resource who you could be using but that you can't be bothered to train up/mentor. That's your call, personally I'd be putting the hours in to get him up to speed.

As to the worktime issue. Decide how much time you are comfortable with and drop everything when you reach that time. The sun will still come up. Maybe you won't be your manager's poster-boy any more. So be it, actions have consequences.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

A man is crossing the wilderness in a wagon pulled by two horses: one that works hard, and one that barely pulls at all. The one that barely pulls can not be persuaded to pull harder, either with carrot or with whip. The one that pulls hard will pull harder when whipped.

The man reaches a river that he must cross. Halfway across the river, the wagon is stuck. Which horse will the man whip?

I'm sorry, I didn't read your entire story, but I did skim through it and I think your situation is similar to one I was in before.

My first job was at a small company and there was a time where I would work 8 hours doing my normal job, go home for dinner, then go back for 8 hours of AutoCAD and other things that just had to be done. It was completely ridiculous. Eventually I had a bit of a meltdown at work and they ended up hiring two new techs to do the drawings and other similar work.

But I got absolutely no recognition for doing the extra work. The only thing that changed is when my projects went through and were considered complete my boss got a brand new Mercedes.

Anyway, I said F*#% that. I never again worked more than 40 hours a week for that company (while in the office). When commissioning I'd work as long as needed, but if the owner takes on jobs that requires the engineers to work 80 hours to meet their schedule, then they have not done their scheduling properly. And it is not your responsibility to bail them out.

When I left that place, there were still people who would work the ridiculous hours. And the guy that ran that company will take advantage of them until they retire. I still talk to some of the people at that place, and nothing has changed.

I do understand reasonable overtime and at my new job I will gladly do it, but a lot of places will take advantage of people who just won't say no. Especially younger people. If you're treated well and you need to put in extra hours now and then, that's fine, but otherwise you have to take a stand at some point.

Someone said on this site a while ago, that if your boss comes up to you with new tasks, while you're already swamped, then ask them to tell you which of your other tasks you should stop working on. Give him a listing of your projects and their due dates and ask him which one he'd like you to miss.

I'm sorry if this seemed like a giant rant. I'm still bitter about that wasted time working 16 hour days.

Cheers.

Any self-sacrifice you make for your employer will be accepted.

Not necessarily acknowledge, or compensated, or even NOTICED- but certainly accepted!

YOU, and you alone, are in control of how many hours you work in a week. You need to be self-confident enough to put in your time and go home at the end of the day.

You also need to be responsible enough to keep your management completely informed of the status of your projects: which ones are getting behind, and which ones need more resources to keep them on track. Ask and you may receive. Assume that no help is forthcoming, and try to do it all yourself, and all you'll earn is resentment and possibly a future nervous breakdown. You will be doing your family no great help either by letting yourself get to that point.

As to the uncompensated nature of overtime: nobody here is talking about a little extra time put in to learn something new, help out a colleague or the company with an unusual project or circumstance etc. What we're talking about is four people doing five people's work for four people's wages because their boss likes it that way. If you're not compensated somehow for that time, don't do it. Compensation can take the form of anything tangible, like time off (that you are actually allowed to TAKE), bonuses, profit sharing arrangements, shares or the like. DON'T make the idiot mistake that you're buying "goodwill" with all this behind-the-scenes extra effort. That may work with your favourite deity, but smart engineers don't count on it here on Earth.

Honestly, sounds to me like you're a bit of a perfectionist, not willing to let others help with your work because they won't do it "your" way, and that leads to longer hours. It probably won't be any different at another company until you stop taking on everything yourself and learn to trust your co-workers.

You need to learn how to delegate, it's part of the job.

NEVER resort to passive aggressive actions at work. It requires the people you are doing them for to pay extra attention to you and the results of that may not be pleasant.

If you want to work less hours, then work less hours but don't do it with the "hope" that you will get management's attention to address your situation. If you want to get management's attention simply walk into their office and get it. Explain your issues and how you plan to resolve them, i.e. spend more time during normal work hours training your underlings, etc.

As long as you have prepared solutions to the problems you are going to raise I don't think you'll face too much backlash.

Did your manager in any way suggest or imply that you should routinely work all these extra hours?

I'll work extra hours, but only when it works in my favor one way or another. Have I got caught our occasionaly, sure in the short term, but I've usually made it back one way or another.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I have had this conversation with my wife also. She came up as a technician and is now in a management position. She was routinely putting in 55-65 hour work weeks in and I had to explain to her that she is providing leadership and management now and needs to stop extricate herself somewhat from the day to day stuff. She is still struggling with the balance issues but I show up at 4:30 to pick her up at work and make sure she isn't losing prospective.
I find it reasonable to put in a 45 hour work week and 60 hours when everyone else is panicking. But if you are the only one, then there is no good reason.

There are those that just can't let go. I worked for a manager who routinely worked till 7 or 8 at night. He seemed to be a combination of a martyr/hoarder, both related to either an inability or refusal to delegate. Ostensibly, one could think that he was martyring himself so that his subordinates wouldn't have to suffer, but in many cases, it also reduces the amount of actual useful experience and training that subordinates need to have. One might think that he was hoarding all the interesting work for himself...

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I see this happening with way too many engineers because they arent outspoken and just want to please. Best advice is to work 45-50 hours. If your boss asks why things aren't getting done, tell him you cannot work over 50 hours/wk because otherwise you're going to get divorced.

If your management isn't telling you so (via raises or verbally), they're not going to notice your extra effort. You are fooling yourself and probably jeopardizing your life/wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back