Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is Their an Add In To take 2d bitmaps or images then convert to 3d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko

Industrial
Jan 4, 2003
US
I was wondering if their was an add on software package that allows SW to take a bitmap or clip art and convert to a 3d image easily? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you just looking to extrude and outline of an image. Insert sketch picture and start tracing. Adobe Illustrator in combination with raster to vector program like what CBL pointed to is not bad either.

This Artcam program creates a polygon mesh in kind of like a bass relief of an image file through a simple guided process
I do this with the GIMP in combination with an app called Leveller.

In all seriousness,

The problem with many raster to vector converters is that the original line work (...design) gets butchered hard 9.999 times out of 10. It's best to insert it as a sketch picture and make clean line work over it in Solidworks.

I have fooled with many of them from adobe streamline, one's built into 7,000 vinyl cutting software, and other cheesy freeware ones. They all suck. When I used to cut vinyl signs, I would just make clean work in illustrator. If i were to do it again, Id do it in solidworks to assure that everything is tangent and clean.

Thanks to all, I have done the old insert picture outline routine and messed around with vector programs. I was just curious to see if a third party had created anything for solidworks yet. Here is an example that Mastercam has Too bad we have a different cam package, this little tool would have come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back